What comics are you reading?

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What comics are you reading?  Empty What comics are you reading?

Post by ChristianC Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:12 pm

I know a lot of you read comics.

I'm reading a bunch right now. Reading a load of bronze age (Uncanny X-Men and Superman lines). They are cool but these old comics can feel a bit outdated sometimes. I'm reading them mainly for the nostalgia and because I collect them.

I'm slowly getting through The Flash series Flashpoint and all the tie-ins. I was inspired to read it by the first season of The Flash on TV.

I just finished collecting the entire New Mutants series (volume 1) and now I'm reading them from the start. Read the first 20 so far but was pretty bored to be honest until the last few. Looking forward to getting to NM98 to see the first app of you know who Smile Fantastic movie btw.

I just finished reading the Preacher series which is fucking amazing! Can't wait for the tv series! Almost done with Y The Last Man, which is another cracker. Hilarious dialogue.

Yes I read a lot.....

How about you dudes?
ChristianC
ChristianC
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 6843
Focus : Luke Skywalker (all outfits) - MOC, loose variants and bootlegs

http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com

Back to top Go down

What comics are you reading?  Empty Re: What comics are you reading?

Post by ourchickenshack Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:53 pm

I have always loved comics but haven't read any for quite a few years Embarassed

The last time I was still reading I was into quite a few of the Image comics titles - some of my favs were Spawn , The Maxx and Wetworks .

When I was growing up my favorites were X-Men , Iron Man and Daredevil cheers

I was collecting fairly seriously until that period when the comic companies started making multiple cover variants of every comic put out - It really killed the collecting aspect of comics for me banghead2
ourchickenshack
ourchickenshack
Dagobah Daimyo

Yavin Honor : 27918
Focus : Farceur Mollification

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:09 pm

I usually read all the vintage SW & BSG comics that I get. That's about it for me.
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Yavin Honor : 26785
Focus : Canadian Items & cardbacks, loose variants

Back to top Go down

Post by chris.75 Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:55 pm

I used to read some of the Batman graphic novels and was really into Tank Girl, during my teenage years

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[400][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/400]

but the last graphic novel I read was this one Cool

been a long time though since I've picked up a comic or graphic novel.

chris.75
chris.75
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 9996
Focus : Darth Vader, as well as Kenner, PBP, Poch, LL, GL and other lines, basically everything vintage sw I can get my hands on!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Chancellor_Peter Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:04 am

Why the online Star Wars funnies at Blue Milk Special of course!
Chancellor_Peter
Chancellor_Peter
Outer Rim Ronin

Yavin Honor : 524
Location : Somewhere out there in the Outer Rim Territories....
Focus : Mint In Box Vehicles, Playsets, Display Stands, Loose & Complete figures and Variants, 1985 POTF Coins and TESB MOC figures

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian_C Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:30 pm

I'm not really a comic fan. While I read a few here and there as a kid, I always preferred novels for reading.

However..........

I have become hooked on The Walking Dead. It is the ONE comic series I faithfully read every single month. Just awesome. Smile

Ian
Ian_C
Ian_C
Sullust Samurai

Yavin Honor : 2361
Focus : Kenner Production

https://www.tantivexi.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristianC Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:23 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] love X-Men and Spawn! Haven't heard of the other titles. Yeah I hate variant covers too, such a money-making ploy by the publishers.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] love all those titles! Chris did you ever watch the Tank Girl movie? I can't remember if it was good or not. The only memory I have is Ice-T playing some kind of kangaroo! Love The Watchmen, close to being my favourite comic of all time.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] never heard of those! Thanks for the tip!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I read both comics and novels! I love the WD comics. I'm almost up to date as well. I like the series but the comics are sooooooooo much better. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] you would love them mate.
ChristianC
ChristianC
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by chris.75 Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:59 pm

ChristianC wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] love all those titles! Chris did you ever watch the Tank Girl movie? I can't remember if it was good or not. The only memory I have is Ice-T playing some kind of kangaroo! Love The Watchmen, close to being my favourite comic of all time.

Yeah I actually watched it again fairly recently, but sadly it wasn't any better on a second viewing  No , despite Lori petty being pretty cute!!

I thought Zack Snyder did a fairly decent job of the Watchmen movie though, especially the extended cut Smile

[800][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/800]
chris.75
chris.75
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 9996
Focus : Darth Vader, as well as Kenner, PBP, Poch, LL, GL and other lines, basically everything vintage sw I can get my hands on!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sturm86 Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:14 pm

Just have finished reading this one, french edition collecting Marvel's Princess Leia #1 to 5. I was quite pleased about it.

Sturm86
Sturm86
Sullust Samurai

Yavin Honor : 1559
Focus : Tie Fighter & Tie Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sturm86 Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:14 pm

I'm halfway into the french edition of Shattered Empire. I find the story a bit weak and usual, but aesthetically the drawings are pleasant and are making up for that.

Sturm86
Sturm86
Sullust Samurai

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristianC Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:26 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Lori was HOT in Tank Girl! Pretty much the only movie I liked her in.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I'haven't read any of the new SW comics but I just started buying the vintage figure variant covers of the main SW story. Is the story any good?
ChristianC
ChristianC
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by Sturm86 Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:44 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I really liked the Princess Leia story, but the Shattered Empire story feels a bit "empty". I've finished it last night, it's supposed to give more infos about what's happening between episodes VI and VII but besides a couple minor things, not that much. The drawings and aesthetic is saving it though, it's pleasant to look at.

I still haven't read the main Star Wars line, I'm waiting for them to be published in hardcover altogether to buy them (: They have released a first volume here but I'm waiting for the second volume to be available this spring to get both of them.
Sturm86
Sturm86
Sullust Samurai

Back to top Go down

Post by kisstour03 Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:01 pm

Ah comics. My other addiction. Of course I collect and read anything Hulk related. I'm slowly working on runs of Hawkman, Captain America, Thor and GI Joe and Superman. But Hulk is the focus. Also collecting Marvel Masterworks and DC archives hardcover collections of older comics I'm interested in but can't afford the price of the originals.

I'm also slowly building up a collection of comics to give to my brother for his birthday or Christmas. he read a lot of comics when he was younger and lost a huge box of books in a fire years ago. We got chatting one day and he mentioned that box of comics I had forgotten about. So I took note of the series he mentioned and am hunting down copies to surprise him with.
kisstour03
kisstour03
Corellia Chugen

Yavin Honor : 145
Focus : IG-88

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:13 pm

Christian, sorry for derailing your thread.

Paul, maybe you can help me? I have a quick question about 1st editions vs reprints. What distinguishes a Marvel original from a reprint? The only thing I know about is the diamond shape at the top left corner of the cover.

Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Yavin Honor : 26785
Focus : Canadian Items & cardbacks, loose variants

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:35 pm

I really enjoy the Frank Miller graphic novels  cheers
Anyone else read any Frank Miller graphic novels ?
Nico
Nico
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 10144
Focus : Loose variants (Lando)

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristianC Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:09 am

Love Frank Miller!

I started reading Outcast by Robert Kirkman a few weeks ago. Really really good comic. They have a tv series in the works. Will be interesting to see how it goes.
ChristianC
ChristianC
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by Sturm86 Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:17 pm

Picked this one today, haven't started reading it yet but it's looking nice so far.

Sturm86
Sturm86
Sullust Samurai

Back to top Go down

Post by scruffylookingnh Sat May 07, 2016 10:15 am

ChristianC, I listened to your interview with interest on the latest SWTVR Podcast, especially when you mentioned comics.

I read and collected (mainly Marvel) between 1989 and about 2005 before selling them all in 2010. This included a rough X-Men #1 and 2 copies of Hulk #181 banghead2

I restarted collecting a couple of years back (I missed them when they'd gone!). I started reading Outcast, Trees, October Faction, Fade Out, Nailbiter, Wytches, Star Wars, Darth Vader and tried a whole bunch of other indy titles.

Really enjoyed the independent titles by IDW, a completely unrecognisable Image and a couple of others but soon lost patience with a lot of them. Last time I read comics they actually had words in them. I gave up with Wytches when I noticed the first 6 pages didn't have a single word and they had used the same panel THREE TIMES! I'm not great fan of digital artwork in comic books but using the same image a number of times with only subtle differences in background colour, etc. is taking the mickey. Outcast I really enjoyed until I realised that in a year the story hadn't moved much beyond what a 80s and 90s comic title would have deftly handled in 3 or 4 issues without loss of suspense.

Fade Out was superb (limited series of 12). Recommended!) and I absolutely love Nailbiter (how this hasn't been optioned by a TV company is a mystery). Other than that I only now read Star Wars. I really have been surprised at how good it's been. It's felt like SW from the word go, although the shameless copying of lines from the OT (sometimes word for word) is a little annoying, on the whole it's been great. I too have been collecting the action figure covers by John Tyler Christopher but am tiring on the fact he's producing 3 or 4 "exclusives" every year now that are only available direct from him and will cost you about $48 (outside US) due to ridiculous shipping charges. His latest is a Han Bespin cover which is great but which I've passed up on. Wait for them to appear on eBay over here and I'll bet you can get them for less than £20 GBP. Overall it's been a great, great series of covers.

My collection currently stands at around 5,000. Almost exclusively Marvel with my favourites being Amazing Spiderman and (Uncanny) X-Men. I love the silver age Marvel books and love the way they're so dated and "innocent". That said, I have no interest in modern super hero titles, even X-Men, etc. I guess at least a part of me has grown up! I once again have a copy of X-Men #1 (graded - I hate graded SW but I don't mind graded comics which are much harder to grade and much easier to hide restoration on. Oh, and CGC are actually fairly good at what they do!) and a slightly ropey copy of Incredible Hulk #181. Incidentally, by a completely bizarre coincidence, the guy I got my Hulk 180, 181 and 182 from was the same guy I SOLD my #180 to 5 years earlier! Didn't realise until after the deal was done.

Love comics Smile

I'm still rebuilding my run of Spawn which I loved reading in the 90s and I have put all ideas of rebuilding my Preacher collectiion (without doubt the very best comic book titIe I have read) out of my head. Prices are nuts and only going to get worse with the TV series. I'm also enjoying rebuilding my Valiant collection. I'm surprised these aren't more widely collected as I used to love titles like X-O Manowar, Harbinger, Archer and Armstrong, Shadowman and others. Some of the harder to find issues have been a real bugger to find at the right price but patience has meant it's been really cheap to rebuild the collection with issues usually costing less than 50p each Smile
scruffylookingnh
scruffylookingnh
Corellia Chugen

Yavin Honor : 60
Focus : Palitoy and Trilogo

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristianC Mon May 09, 2016 8:51 am

Hey Simon! Great to see you sign up mate and even better to know that you collect comics!!!!!

Wow dude you have an awesome collection! X-Men 1???? Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. I have Giant Sized #1 but X-Men 1 is the one I hope to get some day.

Outcast is excellent. I only just started reading the series myself. Hopefully they don't f*ck up the tv show.

I'm starting to get into indy comics more these days as well. Have you read Sex Criminals? I just read #1 and it's pretty cool.

Thanks for sharing!
ChristianC
ChristianC
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by scruffylookingnh Mon May 09, 2016 11:31 am

ChristianC wrote:Hey Simon! Great to see you sign up mate  and even better to know that you collect comics!!!!!

Wow dude you have an awesome collection! X-Men 1???? Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. I have Giant Sized #1 but X-Men 1 is the one I hope to get some day.

Outcast is excellent. I only just started reading the series myself. Hopefully they don't f*ck up the tv show.

I'm starting to get into indy comics more these days as well. Have you read Sex Criminals? I just read #1 and it's pretty cool.

Thanks for sharing!

Great to be here, mate Smile Pretty cool forum and loving the COO guides, etc.

My mate tried getting me onto Sex Criminals. That's the one where when they have sex time stops, right?? Apparently, that's been optioned too. May have to watch that one!

The X-Men was a lucky buy from eBay. It's a CGC 5.0 and I got it for a 2.5 grade price. In addition, the main reason it graded low was because of a tan band, 5mm wide, across the top edge. It's a beauty with barely a crease on it. I look at it and think "this could be a Trilogo Jawa, or even minty Trilogo Boba....". As much as I love my vintage SW, I'm not even remotely tempted to sell. I'd like to keep hold of it for all time, but I know there will be a day when it be needed to pay a bill or something. Easy come easy go, right?

Outcast was great, but I think I was a little on edge about it when the writer said that things wouldn't start to get going until issue #16 or so! I do like the art, writing and premise, though. You know it's going to be a blinding show.

Have you tried Nailbiter? If you're after a little black humour and light relief, I recommend it. It's more comic book than Outcast but under the humour it's pretty dark.
scruffylookingnh
scruffylookingnh
Corellia Chugen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian_C Mon May 09, 2016 1:42 pm

Hey Simon!

Welcome to the board my friend. cheers

Hope to see you around in other sections too. banana

Ian
Ian_C
Ian_C
Sullust Samurai

Yavin Honor : 2361
Focus : Kenner Production

https://www.tantivexi.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristianC Mon May 09, 2016 2:29 pm

Mate I've got my sights set on Nailbiter. Will be one of my next buys.
ChristianC
ChristianC
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by scruffylookingnh Mon May 09, 2016 4:32 pm

Ian_C wrote:Hey Simon!

Welcome to the board my friend. cheers

Hope to see you around in other sections too. banana

Ian

Cheers Ian Smile Yeah, I'll be all over the rest of the forum like a bad case of the clap! What's that all about: join a SW forum and first 3 posts are about comics?!

Christain; do it and enjoy!
scruffylookingnh
scruffylookingnh
Corellia Chugen

Back to top Go down

Post by ourchickenshack Mon May 09, 2016 5:33 pm

Does anyone know what some less popular or cheaper comic series are from the 1977 to 1985 ?

I was thinking that it might be a way to go about hunting down some Star Wars advertisements to help build our guides What a Face

The first series that popped into my head that would have probably fell in that era is Dazzler lol!

[300][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/300]
ourchickenshack
ourchickenshack
Dagobah Daimyo

Yavin Honor : 27918
Focus : Farceur Mollification

Back to top Go down

Post by scruffylookingnh Tue May 10, 2016 8:02 am

ourchickenshack wrote:Does anyone know what some less popular or cheaper comic series are from the 1977 to 1985 ?

I was thinking that it might be a way to go about hunting down some Star Wars advertisements to help build our guides What a Face

The first series that popped into my head that would have probably fell in that era is Dazzler lol!

[300][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/300]

There are no end in cheap comics from the 70s. If you just look at Marvel you've got Micronauts, Human Fly, She-Hulk, Dazzler (and a dozen other X-Men offshoot miniseries like Longshot, Havok, etc,) Marvel Two-in-One (cheap when buying runs) Luke Cage, Power Man and Iron Fist, Master of Kung Fu, Shogun Warriors, Howard the Duck, Red Sonja, Black Goliath, ROM, Kazar, Defenders, Man Thing, Marvel Presents, The Champions, Skull the Slayer..... the list in never ending.

Myself and a friend of mine sell job lots bronze age Marvel Comics, 50 at a time for £36 delivered. To be honest, I'd completely forgotten to check for SW adverts! I'm listing another one tomorrow and will have a root through to make sure there aren't any in there first and report back here if I find a title which is good for them.

I guess they would have appeared in DC comic books of the time, as well? Not being a DC reader I've never had a look.
scruffylookingnh
scruffylookingnh
Corellia Chugen

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top