STAY ON TARGET - What's Your Focus..... And Why???

View previous topic View next topic Go down

STAY ON TARGET - What's Your Focus..... And Why??? Empty STAY ON TARGET - What's Your Focus..... And Why???

Post by General Kahn Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:28 pm

STAY ON TARGET - What's Your Focus..... And Why???

[900][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/900]

In all the years I have been collecting there is one thing that still makes me think wow over just about anything else, and that is a spectacular focus collection. Not sure what it is or why, but to see loads of the same... but different figures all in the same place just looks impressive. I guess to some degree it comes hand in hand with the research element which is something else I am passionate about, at the end of the day, you have to know your shit just to have a focus collection really and the collection it's self surely inspires research as a second nature because to understand every element of the focus figure allows you too know what you need and what exists etc

I can remember many years ago ready a post on some forum where a guy was asking for help and suggestions. Basically he wanted to focus on a figure and was looking for suggestion as to which? This kinda baffled me to an extent. To me a focus should find you not the other way round. I think if you have to search for it, you already started without the passion required to finish it. Myself? I can barely even remember how I ended up collecting Luke Bespin's but I did, he's not even my favourite figure, not even my second, infact he's not even in my top 5 yet here I am with a fucking shit ton of the bastards! I had Luke as a kid and I did love him but he wasn't my top figure, I was always a Han fan. I guess it started when I first began collecting as an adult about 1998, I was collecting modern and had bought a handful of loose vintage in poor condition in order to try and finish the left overs of my childhood collection. One day I walked into the local shop to find two mint and complete Luke Bespins, blonde and brown and I couldn't resist so I bought them and from that point on, it was mint and complete all the way and a strange fascination with Luke Bespin, I found a couple more and it just escalated I guess.
it was actually trying to figure out why there was different lightsabers and who they should go with that encouraged the start of the research and again that just escalated.

Now? Well this is where it currently stands.....

Unitoy Blondes

Unitoy European Gingers

Mystery Variant

Smile Figures

Smile European Figures

Kader figures

Early PBP, so called Poch figures

PBP figures

China figure

Lili Ledy figures

Lili Ledy overstock

Factory errors

So guys and possibly the odd girl cheeky  Let's see your focus and let's hear why the hell you ended up with all that shit!

Sullust Samurai

Yavin Honor : 3066
Focus : Luke Bespin

Back to top Go down

STAY ON TARGET - What's Your Focus..... And Why??? Empty Re: STAY ON TARGET - What's Your Focus..... And Why???

Post by Commander Clint Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:57 pm

I would say my focus is Canadian items. I kept everything from my childhood. Including cereal premiumns, mini catalogs, trading cards & card backs. Then, because of when I started to collect as an adult in the mid 2000's. A lot of those things where still plentiful & cheap in my local area, which made it easy to focus on them. Very Happy
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Yavin Honor : 26785
Focus : Canadian Items & cardbacks, loose variants

Back to top Go down

STAY ON TARGET - What's Your Focus..... And Why??? Empty Re: STAY ON TARGET - What's Your Focus..... And Why???

Post by the89thchris Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:15 pm

I think I'm trying to actively avoid having a focus. I've been picking up some pretty "white bread" stuff, %98 finished the loose run, and MOCs and boxed vehicles/playsets are coming along pretty well. Doing a fully Canadian MOC run is pretty much not in the cards lately due to the prices on the 12s & 20s but I've found a couple in the last few months for a real bargain.

If I had a focus it would be the action figure line while generally focusing on Canadian releases. Could change but not anytime soon. Great Luke shot! bowwing
the89thchris
the89thchris
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 5170
Focus : Complete loose Kenner figures & a few MOC's.

https://www.instagram.com/thechrisporteous/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheJabbaWookiee Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:29 pm

I haven’t got a focus yet. I only just completed my loose 96 run last year after collecting on and off since 97. Since then I’ve been putting together a PBP run and just started a SW 20 / 21 Back which by all accounts will take me forever to complete.

I think you’re right Alex when you say you fall into focussing, or the figure mysteriously calls you. I have my favourite figures like Princess Leia Organa and I originally thought about focussing on her but she is so expensive and there’s not a lot of info out there on her, I kind of hit a brick wall, and went off the idea.

Then there are certain figures that I wouldn’t of put in my top 10 a few years back (like Luke Jedi) or that I didn’t even really like initially (Luke Bespin) that I have found I have begun to respect and like a lot lot more, as a result of picking up rarer variants (Molded Face Luke Jedi, PBP Luke Bespin). I now have 3 Luke Jedis and 4 Luke Bespins. Perhaps it could be one of them.

But without really realising it perhaps I am at the beginnings of a focus and never really realised it until now, as I have 7 Snowtroopers. I guess you guys as well as me will have to watch this space.
TheJabbaWookiee
TheJabbaWookiee
Corellia Chugen

Yavin Honor : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by hellhippie Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:11 pm

i never have had a focus , at least i dont think so . maybe at one time i would say the spanish line but those variants that i dont have are pretty much non existent on the open market these days .
i get my little obsessions (right now its the affordable coins ) but focuses , not really . i do love foreign variants but also ive kind of hit a stagnant place with them as well . i have most but the ones i dont have are super pricey .

looking at your collection makes me wanna buy more bespin lukes but thats how it goes for me with this stuff if i notice something i never saw before or on someone shows me i want it . so i gues my focus is pissing my fucking money away lol! rockon

Bespin Busho

Yavin Honor : 5322
Focus : Variants

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristianC Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:11 am

Alex those photos are fantastic! Never get bored of seeing your focus.

From day one, my focus has always been any vintage Luke Skywalker figures (all outfits - including bootlegs). I haven't bought much this past year or so but I've just started to branch out a little into Luke related oddballs (assisted by a very generous Secret Santa last year). Clint also gave me a bunch of Luke cardbacks so at some point I will start collecting these too.

Luke was always my favourite character growing up so it was a pretty easy choice.

I also collect Clint's custom Tantive droids Smile
ChristianC
ChristianC
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 6843
Focus : Luke Skywalker (all outfits) - MOC, loose variants and bootlegs

http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr_Ball_MD Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:41 pm

I went for Zuckuss as he was the first figure that was bought for me in 1982. Here's 2 of my favourite pieces.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Dr_Ball_MD
Dr_Ball_MD
Alderaan Ashigaru

Yavin Honor : 224
Focus : Zuckuss

Back to top Go down

Post by poncho Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:10 pm

Han hoth for me

it was halloween 2014 i think

i came across a loose han hoth in a junk box outside a buysell shop. the box was labeled everything 50p. i just glanced in the box on the pavement and i saw han solo legs underneath a cup/mug i thought that looks like han hoth legs ans it was. i marched straight in slammed down my 50p with a big grin on my face a proper 'wild find' the previous day i won a mint han hoth molded legs for $10 on a ebay buy it now it was labled as a normal han hoth i was well chuffed even with shipping it came to less than £20 to the UK. so i bought 2 han hoths in 48 hours.

so a han hoth focus began
poncho
poncho
Sullust Samurai

Yavin Honor : 1951

Back to top Go down

Post by hellhippie Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:07 pm

Love those zuckuss items. Dr ball

chris thats as good a reason as any

Bespin Busho

Yavin Honor : 5322
Focus : Variants

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top