The Vintage Rebellion Podcast 2016 and beyond

Page 14 of 23 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18 ... 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Vintage Rebellion Podcast 2016 and beyond - Page 14 Empty Re: The Vintage Rebellion Podcast 2016 and beyond

Post by Commander Clint Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:33 pm

Thanks for the update Richard. It sounds like a good episode. clapping
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Yavin Honor : 26785
Focus : Canadian Items & cardbacks, loose variants

Back to top Go down

The Vintage Rebellion Podcast 2016 and beyond - Page 14 Empty Re: The Vintage Rebellion Podcast 2016 and beyond

Post by the89thchris Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:40 pm

Just got my beautiful Fanzine, and I've been following your repro box discussion on Facebook with great interest. rofl

Also, in reference to when I was mentioned in feedback in episode 45, Pete did not, in fact, mention the Vectrex version of Star Fire in the fanzine reviews, only the legitimate arcade and home releases. Totally different. Formal complaint filed rofl and immediately rescinded, because my free fanzine is so delightful. bowwing

Surely I can buy something at a second-hand store for $5 that will play this mixtape, right? clapping popcorn
the89thchris
the89thchris
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 5170
Focus : Complete loose Kenner figures & a few MOC's.

https://www.instagram.com/thechrisporteous/

Back to top Go down

Post by richard_h Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:42 pm

Episode 46 : SupercalifragilisticexpialiGeorgoulias

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

March brings us the longest Vintage Rebellion podcast to date, with Jez still absent without leave the rest of the team can't stop talking.

Chris Georgoulias joins Stuart and Richard for this months main interview. Chris discusses a plethora of things including his work with the SWCA and his recent trip to Death Valley amongst many other topics.

Mike Havens joins Rich during Rebel Briefings to discuss his convention ICCC. Rich also looks at the best collecting books available and delves into an eBay auction.

Newest Acquisitions sees the team look at Palitoy, Helix, Australian Pencil cases, Canadian 2 packs as well as many other items including their focus topic of the Palitoy Droid Factory. Mark Daniels and Chris Hogg also drop by to discuss their recent purchases.

During the second instalment of Pete's new segment, he follows on from the Droid Factory discussion looking at other droid items outside of the toy line. He brings us the Droid Factory top 5 and can Simon finally win Gimcrack of the month? Don't bet on it!

Simon delves into the market where he looks at eBay and recent auction sales.

Whilst Iain Sanderson joins Stuart for a follow up to his Interview from Episode 1. Iain revisits all the topics he discussed four years ago, has his collecting habits changed?

As well as all this the boys discuss collecting ethics after being accused of snobbery on their opinion on reproduction items last month, whilst they also have their usual quiz and general discussion.

All this plus much more including a Running Stormtrooper update.

Enjoy the show!!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
richard_h
richard_h
Yavin Yari

Yavin Honor : 783
Focus : Loose and R5D4 items

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:45 pm

Thanks for the update Richard.

I have to apologize for not getting my review of the last podcast finished. I've been suffering from the flu, for the last 1 1/2 weeks.
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by richard_h Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:27 pm

Ouch - my daughter has just come down bad. My son who had meningitis 2 years back catches every buy very badly and he and I are off to Florida in a few days so I'm praying he doesn't catch anything. Hope you're well soon.
richard_h
richard_h
Yavin Yari

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:31 pm

richard_h wrote:Ouch - my daughter has just come down bad.  My son who had meningitis 2 years back catches every buy very badly and he and I are off to Florida in a few days so I'm praying he doesn't catch anything.  Hope you're well soon.

I hope your daughter feels better. I hope you guys miss the sickness and have a great time in Florida.
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:50 am

Episode 45 review

The Running Stormtrooper is at it again, for one final big run.  On May 17th, Jez is going to run 100 Km for “Make A Wish” & “Spread a Smile”.

For those that haven’t seen it yet.  The Mods here at TXI are going to be auctioning off some vintage goodies over on Jabba’s Court FB group.  With all the proceeds going directly to The Running Stormtrooper.  Pictures of the items can be seen here.

The auctions will be run by our very own Alex (General Kahn),  auction dates and times, to be anounced.

I loved the Lili Ledy based quiz.  Especially guessing which figures appeared on the LL 30 card back.

Where “Power of the Force” MOC’s available in the UK?  The boys discussed the possibility that they were available through independent shops.

Congrats to Brain Angel on acquiring another “Red Bar” R5-D4 MOC.  That gives him a SW, ESB & ROTJ.  A Tri-logo MOC has not been seen yet.
I would love to see a group shot of all the Red Bar R5-D4’s.

The boys then discuss the questionable ethics of ending Ebay auctions early by contacting the seller and offering more money.

The cost of reproduction items has gotten out of control.  The cost of a reproduction Millennium Falcon complete with a bleached (peroxide) ship, reproduction inserts, reproduction stickers, reproduction training ball & arm, and reproduction instructions, has now become more expensive than the original item.  This is clearly part of the “I want it all, I want it now”.  Because they don’t have the patience to wait for the real item.

[400][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/400]

Ebay & PayPal are parting ways.  Ebay is going to partner with the Dutch company Adyen.  Hopefully this will result in lower fees and more payment options for buyers.  But this won’t start until 2021.

I really enjoyed Richard’s “Visit Hoth” exploits about his recent trip to Finse, Norway and the Empire Strikes Back film locations.  One more place to put on my wish to visit list.

Newest Acquisitions

Congrats to Andy Norton (spoons) over on SWFUK and his pre-production Diecast Tie-Fighter wing.

The “Grubee’s” cups from Dallas Ewen’s collection was fantastic.  Got to love the local oddities from Winnipeg Manitoba.

[400][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[/400]
The Hoth Ice Planet Adventure Set is discussed, with the differences between the US & Canadian Boxes.

New Odd Ball Section

Pete is starting a new odd ball section.  The boys discuss a home made Hoth play set that first appeared back in the 1980’s “Women’s Day” magazine.

They then move on to discuss “Letra Sets”, Paint by Numbers by Fundmations, & Probot & Turret Play Set.

This month’s Gimcracker submissions where awesome.

But the one that stands out is the R2 Model from Japan with the swastika decals.

[300][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/300]

Let’s keep the fun going.  Feel free to post your submissions here.

And finally Simon has taken over and revamped the Market Watch section.  Well done Simon, you did a fantastic job. clapping

We will miss Jez on the podcast for another month.  Good luck with the studies & training.

Thanks again guys for another great show.  Keep up the great work.
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by the89thchris Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:19 am

Thanks for the putting that together, Clint. I think there are 500% more locations on the internet where you can see a photo and some text about the “Grubee’s cups since that episode was released. rofl
the89thchris
the89thchris
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:33 pm

the89thchris wrote:I think there are 500% more locations on the internet where you can see a photo and some text about the “Grubee’s cups since that episode was released.

I've actually been on the look out for some information on them, since Grant's interview with Jonathan McElwain on episode 38 & 39, where they were discussed briefly.

I have to apologize to the guys. I've listened to the last podcast twice now, and am really struggling to finish my review. It was a fantastic episode and I really enjoyed it. Hopefully it will be done this week.
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by richard_h Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:38 pm

Ha, and then we go and dump another

The Vintage Rebellion returns for their 47th outing. Jared Cope, Andrew Norton and Stephen Savory join Stuart and Simon for a roundtable discussion on prices and the state of the hobby, is collecting Star Wars toys an obsession?

Rich has the pleasure of talking to Craig Stevens about his new book focusing on the impact of Star Wars in the UK. We then discuss a couple of topical points in the hobby including a great act of honesty.

In Market join Simon for a ramble through rare and interesting items sold on eBay in the last month, hear about the auction action from UK salesrooms and the ones to watch in the coming month.

With help from new Vintage Alliance member Bob Steffey, the team take at look at the awesome Snowspeeder. Brian Angel drops by to discuss his latest R5-D4 pickup and the team also look at a host of other great acquisitions from UK bubble bath to soot covered Luke Hoth Mint on Cards.

Pete continues the look at the Snowspeeder as he delves into items for the ship outside the toy line as well as bringing his popular top five and Gimcrack of the month.

The team take a look and make recommedations for new collectors on which Facebook groups to join and can Simon win a quiz? I very much doubt it.

Oh and Steve Savory tells us how he likes to go hard!

All this plus much more on this months Vintage Rebellion Podcast.

Enjoy the Show!!!!

richard_h
richard_h
Yavin Yari

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:58 pm

Cheers Rich cheers That's my morning listening sorted on the way to work Very Happy
Nico
Nico
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 10144
Focus : Loose variants (Lando)

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:04 pm

Thanks for the update Richard. I'll download it and listen to it on Wednesday. cheers
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Sat May 05, 2018 2:49 am

Episode 46 review

The show begins with the boys getting negative feedback from a listener.  They were accused of being “Vintage Snobs”, because of their Anti-Reproduction stance on the last podcast.  The boys defend their stance, and point out that it’s not just them.  Most of the vintage forums and old school collectors are anti-reproduction.  The listener ends up being a pro “Orme” & “Poon” supporter.

I loved Simon’s quiz.  The questions were based on each of the guys “Focuses”, as well as lots of great general knowledge SW questions.  I would have failed miserably. lol!

Brain’s Toys was pointed out to be selling large lots of reproduction weapons.
The boys discuss how things have been handled and the out come.

Richard interviews Mike Havens and the new ICCC.  Mike also is the creator of the Imperial Commissary.  ICCC is a collectors con just outside of Nashville, TN on September 14th & 15th.  It’s a convention by collectors for collectors.

“Read All About it”  The boys list some of their favourite books that every collector must have in their personal libraries.

Stewart & Richard interview Chris Georgoulias and talk about lots of different topics, including his work on the SWCA.  Chris also discusses how he got started collecting vintage Star Wars.  They also talk about Chris’s recent trip to “Death Valley National Park”, just outside of Las Vegas, Nevada.  Where they shot some of the scenes from Star Wars and Return of the Jedi.  I had to borrow some pictures from the internet.

[/400]
Newest Acquisitions

The boys ask if the Darth Vader’s Star Destroyer from any country, came with a special offer of action figures?  I’ve never seen anything like that in Canada, but wasn’t sure.  So I went over to Scott Bradley’s “The Canadian Star Wars Gallery” and there wasn’t anything listed there either.

There was so many great new acquisitions talked about.  From mirrors & erasers, to Australian pencil cases.

It’s funny the boys bring up Colin Tucker & his 2 pack of 12” Canadian Luke & Leia shrink wrapped combo.  Colin used to live 3 blocks down my street.  Unfortunately, I just met Colin as he was preparing to move to the other side of the city.

It’s probably a surprise to everyone that the Palitoy ESB Play-Doh Set came with Palitoy labeled play-doh containers.  Well done.

New Playset Section

The boys discuss the “Droid Factory”.  We in Canada only got the droid factory in the ESB packaging.  There wasn’t any special offers to to with it, that I can find.  I have one somewhere, but if I remember, it only needs that dreaded orange tubing.

They then have Chris Georgoulias and the Vintage Alliance, back to discuss the Droid Factory V2 Conceptual Mock-up - The Mechanized version with wind up droids.  Like the Takara wind up R2.

Sorry Pete.  I don’t remember ever seeing or hearing of “Droid World” book on tape as a kid.  I do recognized the book now, as an adult collector.  Hopefully there is a Canadian version.  lol

[/400]

Simon’s submission.

Stuarts’s submission.

Richard’s submission.

Congrats to Richard on the big win.

Simon does a great job with the Market Watch section.  Simon discusses some great items.  Including a Brown Mailer Envelope with the Meccano Paris address on it.  Also the Kenner Canada Star Wars Utility belts are discussed.  The picture is from my childhood scrap book.

[/400]
Simon goes on and discusses the various Auction’s.  There was too many to list.

Well done Simon.  You are doing a great job.

What’s New Pussycat

Stuart starts a new section and goes back and re-interviews some of his old guests.  This months interview has the return of Iain Sanderson.  Iain gives us an update of what he has been up to since he was the 1st interview in 2014.

The boys then discuss which droid they would have like to seen from Kenner.  I think this is the best one ever.

[300][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/300]

The little fella in action  Very Happy

Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by richard_h Fri May 11, 2018 6:09 pm

that's awesome Clint thanks very much. When we get this week out of the way we'll get back into the swing of things.
richard_h
richard_h
Yavin Yari

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Fri May 11, 2018 6:13 pm

richard_h wrote:that's awesome Clint thanks very much.  When we get this week out of the way we'll get back into the swing of things.

Don't hurry too much. I'm still working on the episode 47 review. lol!
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico Fri May 11, 2018 6:33 pm

As always Clint, a really great write up mate clapping
Nico
Nico
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by richard_h Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:55 pm

Welcome to Episode 48 of the Vintage Rebellion, bit later than normal.

Andy Goulding joins the team for this months focal interview as we delve into early collecting, shows round the UK in the 1990s and we delve into his love of movie props.

In this month's Rebel Briefings Rich brings not one, not two, not three but four amazing discoveries that collectors have been hunting for nearly 20 years from pre-production items to packaging to bootlegs to production figures.  Helping him delve into one of these topics both Paul Chu and Todd Hudson drop by to offer their expertise.

In NA the lads review some brilliant bargains, a cast and crew grail piece, a Japanese Pop Up Book and are joined by Andy Preston who talks about his fantastic Pye records' store display.  The section is concluded with an in depth look at the POTF Skiff with help from Ron Salvatore.  Keep an ear out for when Simon outs S#####7 as a shill bidder extraordinaire!

You don't get many of those to the pound in Markets this month.  More interesting and interestingly priced items from eBay are covered.  Simon also takes a look at a recent sale at Gildings Auctioneers and invites the team to take their pick from a wonderful selection of movie posters offered by the Prop Store in an upcoming sale.  The results are surprising.

Pete takes us on an extended look at NA when he examines the Skiff in more detail, looking at what else the Skiff turned up on for all you Skiff focus collectors, as well as bringing us his Gimcrack of the Month and his well loved Top Five.

All this plus plenty more including Weakest Link and stay listening for the outro when Jez has an unusual theory about people not liking TLJ the first time.

Enjoy the show!!!

richard_h
richard_h
Yavin Yari

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:54 pm

Thanks for the update Rich. Hopefully I'll have a chance to listen to it this week. cheers
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:08 am

Episode 47 review

The boys continue from the last episode with their lists of favourite books, etc. that every new collector must have.  This months list of “FaceBook” groups that every new collectors should belong too.

Richard is in charge of the quiz this month.  The questions were based on sequence of card back colours, numbers, etc..  Once the boys got into the swing of things.  They did fairly well.  I would have failed miserably. lol

Richard interviews Chris Stevens about Star Wars in the UK.  That was great hearing all the great stories.

The boys ask the question, “how to display or store a card back with a bubble”.

Here is how I do it. A lot of stuff that I have are loose or cut bubbles.

Stewart & Simon host a round table discussion with Jared Cope, Steve Savoury, & Andy Norton.  They discuss various things.

Newest Acquisitions

The boys discuss Chris’s (aka Poncho) newest acquisition of a Helix Pencil Case.  It was beaten and dirty, but Chris cleaned it up and it looks fantastic.

Next up was the ESB R5D4 31 back with an applied sticker (not printed) bought by Brian Angel.  There are only a few 32 backs known to exist.  This might be the first 31 back.

Lee Simon Jacobs shows off a “Height & Hat Stand”.  This is a fantastic odd piece to add to any collection.

Bob Steffey is brought in by the “Vintage Alliance” to discuss the Snow Speeder.  Bob has a Snow Speeder focus.  This is a great ship, and one of the few that I had as child.

Simon’s submission.

Estes - Flying Rocket

Stuarts’s submission.

Airgam Space Adventurer

Richard’s submission.

Magazine with some bad art.  Sorry Richard, I can’t find a picture of your submission.

Congrats to Simon on the big win.

Simon does another great job with the Market Watch section.

I foresee poor Steve Savoury’s sound bite will be played by TVR crew, every time his name will be brought up in the future.  “I’m still hard into Han Solo”.

I loved all the proposed Playsets the guys came up with.

Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by the89thchris Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:41 am

Great review, Clint!

I should consolidate all the gimcrack items that I've uncovered over the last 2 or 3 months and post them all on our thread there. I'll get on that. rofl clapping

Thanks for including the knock-off Greedo figure, I was wondering what that looked like.

Also, what a blessed time we live in  rofl :
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
the89thchris
the89thchris
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristianC Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:15 am

"I foresee poor Steve Savoury’s sound bite will be played by TVR crew, every time his name will be brought up in the future. “I’m still hard into Han Solo”." lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Great review Clint!

I had a nine month period where I had zero time for podcasts but I'm started to slowly catching up. Absolutely love your work fellas!
ChristianC
ChristianC
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 6843
Focus : Luke Skywalker (all outfits) - MOC, loose variants and bootlegs

http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:39 pm

Great review Clint clapping and another great episode guys bowwing

I love that Greedo figure rockon
Nico
Nico
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by richard_h Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:10 pm

Thanks guys, we're trying to think of ways of getting the images out quicker. Perhaps if we have a shared dropbox I could put them in there so you can put them straight on here in the best places? Not sure what the easiest thing to do is.
richard_h
richard_h
Yavin Yari

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:21 pm

I usually go to your FB page and steal them from there. lol!   Or just google the items.

The only picture I couldn't find was your gimcrack submittion, Rich.

I'm good with how you have things working. rockon
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by richard_h Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:17 pm

***** EPISODE 49 LIVE *****

The Vintage Rebellion celebrates their four year anniversary by giving our listeners a six hour delight.

Stuart and Simon are joined by 12 inch collecting legend Lee Bullock, where he discusses his early memories, trading in the current climate and of course his expertise in Star Wars dollies.

Rebel Briefing sees Rich look at our hopes for Vintage Star Wars at Celebration before delving into an old discussion on 20/21 backs and more.

In this months NA the lads review some more awesome purchases from across Facebook and the forums. They even take a look into the future, from the past. The section is completed with an in depth look at the Darth Vader Carry Case with a little help from Chris G. Who had ever heard of a Red Darth Vader Carry Case??

The Market section becomes fully operational with the Death Star eBay find. Plus Simon scurries around the UK auction action and visits Steve Taylor at Toy Planet to hear about a 90s dealer stock that time forgot.

Pete takes us beyond the NA as he looks at some strange Darth Vader items as well as bringing us a top fiver related to the heavy breathing Dark Lord. And of course he brings us Gimcrack of the month as once again Jez doesn't fully understand the concept.

And what better way to celebrate four years of this show than to have Episode 11 guest Bruce White return to catch up during What's New PussyCat.

All this plus the usual quiz, Celebration update, and many moments of abusing the weaker members of the cast (Richard, Jez and Simon).

Enjoy the show!!!

TXI UPLOADS
The Vintage Rebellion Podcast 2016 and beyond - Page 14 Attachment
bullock-twit.jpg
richard_h
richard_h
Yavin Yari

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 23 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18 ... 23  Next