REPRODUCTION PARTS

View previous topic View next topic Go down

REPRODUCTION PARTS Empty REPRODUCTION PARTS

Post by Johnb Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:21 pm

What is everybodies take on reproduction parts.I use them on my figures as a fill in until I can find or afford the original parts.
just your thoughts on this.
Johnb
Johnb
Alderaan Ashigaru

Yavin Honor : 185
Focus : Anything Vintage

Back to top Go down

REPRODUCTION PARTS Empty Re: REPRODUCTION PARTS

Post by ChristianC Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:38 pm

Hey John.

Check out this article by fellow member [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It's pretty much how I feel about repros.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Christian
ChristianC
ChristianC
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 6848
Focus : Luke Skywalker (all outfits) - MOC, loose variants and bootlegs

http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:42 pm

The only time I use repo's is when I'm making a custom figure and a custom weapon to go with it.
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Yavin Honor : 26790
Focus : Canadian Items & cardbacks, loose variants

Back to top Go down

Post by cantina_patron Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:51 pm

Buying repro's to complete figures is a false economy. If you can be patient, in my experience it always works out cheaper to buy loose figures with original weapons rather than get them seperately (loose original weapons often carry a premium as demand is generally greater than supply). We don't advocate the trade in repros & encourage people to destroy them so that they don't get back into circulation.
cantina_patron
cantina_patron
Bespin Busho

Yavin Honor : 5600
Focus : Cardbacks, loose variants, Lili Ledy

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnb Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:21 pm

Thanks for the article Christian.i am trying to gather all original parts.i had some repros laying around and are using those only until I get the original ones.
Johnb
Johnb
Alderaan Ashigaru

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnb Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:22 pm

Thanks for the feedback everbody
Johnb
Johnb
Alderaan Ashigaru

Back to top Go down

Post by cantina_patron Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:26 pm

@ John, if you post a WTB (want to buy) thread listing what original accessories you require, there may be some guys here who could help you out (frequently forum prices can cheaper then eBay or FB). Very Happy
cantina_patron
cantina_patron
Bespin Busho

Yavin Honor : 5600
Focus : Cardbacks, loose variants, Lili Ledy

Back to top Go down

Post by chris.75 Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:18 pm

Yeah I have to agree with the other guys, that repros are bad for the hobby and a false economy. Your much better off buying complete figures, when possible.
The only time I think that using repros is acceptable is for custom figures, but only then, if the repro has been marked in some obvious way.
chris.75
chris.75
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 10001
Focus : Darth Vader, as well as Kenner, PBP, Poch, LL, GL and other lines, basically everything vintage sw I can get my hands on!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr_Ball_MD Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:19 pm

Commander Clint wrote:The only time I use repo's is when I'm making a custom figure and a custom weapon to go with it.

As much as I hate repro's I don't like seeing videos and pictures of people destroying them. I like to see them being used for customising.
Dr_Ball_MD
Dr_Ball_MD
Alderaan Ashigaru

Yavin Honor : 224
Focus : Zuckuss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian_C Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:34 pm

Thanks for the shout out Christian. Smile

I understand the idea that using them in customs is fair, but there's two issues even with that I have.

The first is obvious. A repro can be accidentally mixed up with authentic weapons, and regardless, if you pass away and your family has to sell it off (rare but it happens), they likely will have no clue how to make the difference, if they even know repros are bad to begin with. That will put them back into the marketplace.

The second, and slightly less obvious, is that the makers of repros don't know or care why you bought them. Replacements for authentic or for customs, it just doesn't matter to them. A sale is a sale, and buying them gives them the impression there is a market (which, unfortunately, there is), and they put those funds right back into making more. And the more they make, the more likely they are to tweak them and make them harder to distinguish from real. Buying one repro may seem harmless, but when you have hundreds (or thousands) of collectors just buying one, that's a significant profit for these guys.

Ian
Ian_C
Ian_C
Sullust Samurai

Yavin Honor : 2361
Focus : Kenner Production

https://www.tantivexi.com

Back to top Go down

Post by arohk Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:41 pm

Like most I only use repos for custom figures, I have nothing against people using them for place holders though. but as a policy we have here as I am sure you have possibly read by now is we drill out the handle or modify it so you can tell it's a repo. I find the more people who do this and personally I would wish Ebay would make it mandatory as well is for easy id'ing of repos ya some people do state in the add it's a repo but that doesn't mean someone who buys it and resells it isn't going to be honest.
arohk
arohk
Outer Rim Ronin

Yavin Honor : 1555
Focus : started on a baggie collection and lil ledy

Back to top Go down

Post by General Kahn Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:57 pm

My stance on this is simple. Repro's are bad! I would rather have an incomplete figure than one with a repro, OCD I guess but that's just the way it is.

As for customs, the only weapons I use for customs are repro's and I have never bought a single one directly, just the unfortunate bag I have acquired over the years through various buys. I try and make my customs as cl;ose to how I imagine the originals would have been made, but the weapons are different, I always add paint to them in some way, I know it's onlt paint and can be removed, but it's just my way of saying it's fake. If I don't have a weapon I need for a custom then I do with out.

I should also point out, my last will and testimony is very specific when it comes to my toys cheeky
General Kahn
General Kahn
Sullust Samurai

Yavin Honor : 3066
Focus : Luke Bespin

Back to top Go down

Post by The84th Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:03 pm

I buy them to help others know what to look out for , rarer ones I will spend/bid higher on to take out of circulation (and also help others know )
The84th
Corellia Chugen

Yavin Honor : 100
Focus : Variants

Back to top Go down

Post by General Kahn Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:12 pm

The84th wrote:I buy them to help others know what to look out for , rarer ones I will spend/bid higher on to take out of circulation (and also help others know )

That is certainly a bizarre logic? Paying to take them out of circulation? Every time you pay for them you ensure that they remain in circulation.

How do you help others, do you have a reference site?
General Kahn
General Kahn
Sullust Samurai

Yavin Honor : 3066
Focus : Luke Bespin

Back to top Go down

Post by msenli Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:43 pm

I only use repro decals for my vehicles and ships.
msenli
msenli
Corellia Chugen

Yavin Honor : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by The84th Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:45 pm

General Kahn wrote:
The84th wrote:I buy them to help others know what to look out for , rarer ones I will spend/bid higher on to take out of circulation (and also help others know )

That is certainly a bizarre logic? Paying to take them out of circulation? Every time you pay for them you ensure that they remain in circulation.

How do you help others, do you have a reference site?

Well, mainly after I sold something that was damaged, then I saw the person popped damage parts and re-sold as original (the figure was Ledy, they added non-Ledy limb).
I bought it back and sure that figure is not in circulation anymore now.

Lots of time the figure you get on ebay will come with repro, sometimes listed, sometimes not. I'm looking for the figure any way.

I have friends that come over for help on variants. Just a few days, I was able to explain some differences to help with wild finds. After you see the spacing and molds on Fake Jawa blaster, it is hard to be fooled. After you have held them, dropped them and floated them, you will know more. NOT having them to test the difference makes it harder. It has helped me pass up some deals I would have got burned on.

The84th
Corellia Chugen

Yavin Honor : 100
Focus : Variants

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top