THE GREAT ANAKIN MAILER MYSTERY??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

THE GREAT ANAKIN MAILER MYSTERY?? Empty THE GREAT ANAKIN MAILER MYSTERY??

Post by frunkstar Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:19 pm

THE GREAT ANAKIN MAILER MYSTERY??

Well I have searched long & hard for a very long time, spoken to a great many folks into single figure mailers both here in the UK & In Australia & we so far have all drawn a total blank on the mysterious Anakin mailer, a great many examples of the mailer have turned up both open & sealed, all examples have been plain white overstock boxes, not a single confirmed example of one with any sending / address info on it, as far as I am aware there is not one scrap of info on the offer/promotion of this figure in either the UK or in Oz, no card back/front stickers, no comic ad's no flyers or any info on line, palitoy mailers are a bit of an odyssey at the best of times, with very little being known about many of actual items as they simply never turn up for sale, but at least there is info on the offers, which is more than I can say for the Anakin, am I missing something or is it a simple case of the Anakin being intended for a future promotion which never ended up happening?? I know a great many of these came directly from palitoy as dead stock/overstock but were they intended for a UK promotion or an Australian one? as they have the palitoy-a baggie which was used by both companies, so no hint there - thoughts?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
frunkstar
frunkstar
Corellia Chugen

Yavin Honor : 140
Focus : Baggies / Power Droid

Back to top Go down

THE GREAT ANAKIN MAILER MYSTERY?? Empty Re: THE GREAT ANAKIN MAILER MYSTERY??

Post by Commander Clint Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:05 am

Very interesting Frank. We never got the Anakin offer here in Canada. So, hopefully some the other members can help you out, and bring an end to your mystery.
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Yavin Honor : 26785
Focus : Canadian Items & cardbacks, loose variants

Back to top Go down

Post by frunkstar Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:29 am

Thanks for confirming that Clint I was as it goes about to send you a PM to ask that exact question, so another one ticked off the list, sadly no closer to unearthing this mystery, one would think after all these years there would no longer be any mystery about such items, but it really is shocking how little is known & documented when it comes to baggies.
frunkstar
frunkstar
Corellia Chugen

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristianC Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:01 am

Great detective work Frank! Keep us updated if you manage to ever resolve the mystery.
ChristianC
ChristianC
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 6843
Focus : Luke Skywalker (all outfits) - MOC, loose variants and bootlegs

http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnb Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:37 pm

They offered Anakin as a mailer in the US.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Johnb
Johnb
Alderaan Ashigaru

Yavin Honor : 185
Focus : Anything Vintage

Back to top Go down

Post by frunkstar Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:52 pm

Indeed Anakin was offered in the states, but from all the searching & all the folks I have spoken with regarding a non kenner release, it would seem the assumption of it never making it as far as an offer was correct, seem's they had a good deal of stock ready to put out the offer, just with the dwindling enthusiasm for the toy line towards the end, it just never quite made it.

Someone I spoke with remembers getting an Anakin in the UK as a mailer, but they do not remember sending off for it & assumed that seen as they sent away for almost all the offers, that it was sent out as a freebie, which could well make sense whith them having dead stock doing nothing.

Now I presume the offer was intended to go out in the UK rather than Australia as all known examples seem to trace back to the Palitoy plant.

So another baggie mystery in the bag, pardon the pun.

Mad really after all these years to still be turning up info like this really, but hey it's why I love baggie collecting so much, you would have thought this would have been picked up sooner though with it being a mailer & more folks focusing on them than baggies, really does make one wonder just how much other stuff we have no idea about.
frunkstar
frunkstar
Corellia Chugen

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:59 pm

Frank, Very interesting. Keep us updated if you find out more information.
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Yavin Honor : 26785
Focus : Canadian Items & cardbacks, loose variants

Back to top Go down

Post by General Kahn Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:29 am

Very interesting read Frank. Until now I can honestly say that this never even popped into my head, I just assumed that the Anakin from my childhood collection was from a mail away and I have some vague memory of that all though that would most likely be a false memory like all the rocket Fett kids.

The thing is, my Dad bought figures for both me and my brother, some for him and some for me and occasionally both the same figure. Now when it came to mail away figures my Dad was prolific and made sure that we always got them and always one each.... sometimes even more, we had 4 Rancor Keepers!!! He literally just kept sending away for them until the offers ended.

How ever we only ever had one ANakin and that was my brothers. If this was a mailer, then he would have definately got more than one with out a doubt. So I am now thinking that maybe it was a Tri-Logo?

There is the possibility that it was sent out like was stated above because of the my Dada did all the mail aways. But it seems odd tghat it was given to my brother and not a 'shared' figure. There is the possibility that my Dad bought me another character to compensate? Really not sure.

My Dad's memory isn't great on stuff like this but I will definately ask him next time I see him.

Cheers for the work FRank and planting an annoying thought into my head that will now bother me for eternity haha cheeky

Sullust Samurai

Yavin Honor : 3066
Focus : Luke Bespin

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top