Putting a new Blister Bubble on a Cardback

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Putting a new Blister Bubble on a Cardback Empty Putting a new Blister Bubble on a Cardback

Post by Cardnut Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:43 pm

Just soliciting thoughts and help with this idea. I have a couple pretty nice card backs and was considering sourcing a new blister bubble to put on the card with a figure in it. My idea was to not actually glue the bubble to the card, I would just use a Star case that pinches the bubble and card on the side so it would hold it in place. This would be strictly for display, I would never try to be dishonest and sell as a MOC figure. Give me your thoughts, good or bad I am a big boy and can take it, 2nd if I do proceed anyone know of a good source for repo bubbles, I am in Ontario. I have seen a couple on Ebay. Thanks Dave
Cardnut
Cardnut
Outer Rim Ronin

Yavin Honor : 1170
Focus : Trading Cards, Loose Figures

Back to top Go down

Putting a new Blister Bubble on a Cardback Empty Re: Putting a new Blister Bubble on a Cardback

Post by arohk Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:28 am

Hi Dave I don't see an issue for what you want to do, it's your collection after all. Having the blister held by the starcase is a good idea to avoid any possible damage. You could also make your own cardbacks which may only need the front image depending how you want to display them.

Larry
arohk
arohk
Outer Rim Ronin

Yavin Honor : 1555
Focus : started on a baggie collection and lil ledy

Back to top Go down

Putting a new Blister Bubble on a Cardback Empty Re: Putting a new Blister Bubble on a Cardback

Post by Nico Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:05 am

I like the look of these new style Cardback and loose figure cases from gwacrylic Very Happy
[500][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/500]
I plan to get one for my PBP Lando Cardback and pair it up with a nice PBP figure  cheers
Nico
Nico
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 10144
Focus : Loose variants (Lando)

Back to top Go down

Post by the89thchris Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:15 pm

I’m glad GW updated those, but it would still be better if you didn’t have to glue a figure stand to the base.

I was talking to DKE toys about a product that was basically a star case but with a flat surface and a “bubble” for a figure. He told me it would be available for sale soon.
the89thchris
the89thchris
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 5170
Focus : Complete loose Kenner figures & a few MOC's.

https://www.instagram.com/thechrisporteous/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardnut Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:19 pm

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this and the info. Interested to see the DKE product. A MOC figure is pricey for the original Star Wars figures but a cardback and loose figure presented in a case with an original style bubble still looks awesome for a fraction of the cost. I have to blame Clint for this, I won the B-Wing Pilot with the loose bubble here on the forum give away contest a few months ago. Clint had it in a Star case which pinched the bubble and made it look great. You couldn't tell the bubble was up on the side. He then bought a few from another collector and offered one to me. Han Hoth. Just got me thinking about how to put the Cardbacks together with new bubble and if there were replacments out there. Thanks again guys.
Cardnut
Cardnut
Outer Rim Ronin

Back to top Go down

Post by the89thchris Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:25 pm

It would basically be "clamshell" you see around this "Dollar Slice Bootlegs" product for sale in bulk:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

DKE supplied that case for him (as I understand it) and it would be something very similar offered for sale. I just spoke to him and he said it was going to be a pretty large investment on his part and that it might be avaliable first or second quarter next year.
the89thchris
the89thchris
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristianC Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:59 am

I think it's a great idea mate, and as you say, it can't be mistaken for a genuine mint on card.

Andy that GW card and fig display looks pretty cool.
ChristianC
ChristianC
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 6848
Focus : Luke Skywalker (all outfits) - MOC, loose variants and bootlegs

http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com

Back to top Go down

Post by the89thchris Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:14 am

Yeah the GW thing is cool but it’s a bit expensive if you’ve got a lot of cards/figures. I think that clamshell DKE is going to put out might cause a whole
New spike in cardback sales because you can easily pair up a cardback with your loose run and store them together, hand em on a peg or cheaply stick them on the wall.
the89thchris
the89thchris
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Putting a new Blister Bubble on a Cardback Empty 1st Attempt

Post by Cardnut Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:32 am

Ok, here is the first attempt at my bubble project. I would rate this a 5 out of 10. Just using what I have on hand. Ultimately will try and print on a glossy card stock so it looks the same as the original card back. Will also need to purchase the proper looking bubbles for the card back. I have included a copy of the card showing where the bubble has been removed. I am trying to cover the torn parts and the areas you see the brown cardboard. Orange colour is also a little off.
TXI UPLOADS
Putting a new Blister Bubble on a Cardback Attachment
Boba Fett Card Back.jpg
Boba Fett in Bubble.jpg
Boba Fett in Bubble side.jpg
Boba Fett on Card in Case.jpg
Cardnut
Cardnut
Outer Rim Ronin

Back to top Go down

Post by grinchy Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:08 am

I think that's looking pretty sweet, nicely done Very Happy
grinchy
grinchy
Bespin Busho

Yavin Honor : 5928

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristianC Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:42 am

Looks good to me!
ChristianC
ChristianC
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 6848
Focus : Luke Skywalker (all outfits) - MOC, loose variants and bootlegs

http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardnut Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:53 pm

Thanks guys, I think the pictures make it look a little better than in person. When I get a chance for another try I will post some pics.
Cardnut
Cardnut
Outer Rim Ronin

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:00 pm

Interesting idea David. I'm just reading thru the threads that were posted, while I was on holidays.
If you need some help adjusting the colours, let me know.
I'm looking forward to seeing how everything turns out.
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Yavin Honor : 26790
Focus : Canadian Items & cardbacks, loose variants

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardnut Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:18 pm

Hey Clint glad to hear you made it back from your beach vacation. I will take you up on your expertise on printing these. My 1st attempt was basically finding the card back image from vintagestarwarscollectables.co.uk. I copied the image into a word doc and tried to adjust the size. Worked ok. I just picked up some better card stock with a glossy finish to better approximate the original cardback. I will need to adjust the colours to better match the name bar. I will also need to purchase some proper bubbles that match the originals for a nicer visual. We can discuss what program you would use to change colors or where to get better cardback images to use if they are out there. Thanks.
Cardnut
Cardnut
Outer Rim Ronin

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:26 pm

I have an old version of Photoshop that I use for most of the forum pictures & the fun stuff, like the droid stickers. cheers
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardnut Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:32 pm

Ok when we both have some time we can try a couple of these and see if you can work some magic. Thanks Clint.
Cardnut
Cardnut
Outer Rim Ronin

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:48 pm

Cardnut wrote:Ok when we both have some time we can try a couple of these and see if you can work some magic. Thanks Clint.

Sounds good. We'll work out some time that works for both of us.
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Putting a new Blister Bubble on a Cardback Empty Project update

Post by Cardnut Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:26 pm

It has been a busy summer, not much time to play with my new bubble project. Here is the latest version. Stock that the new bubble was put on is a glossy paper closer to the original stock not just printer paper. I purchased 21 bubbles from a seller in Spain. My goal is to do this for the 1st 21 Star Wars Card Backs. May be a stretch but you need to start somewhere.
TXI UPLOADS
Boba Fett correct bubble.jpg This is an update from 1st attempt. Glossy paper and correct bubble style.
Boba Fett bubble.jpg Closer look at just Boba Fett in the bubble
Bubbles.jpg These are the 21 bubbles I purchased on EBay from the seller in Spain
Cardnut
Cardnut
Outer Rim Ronin

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top