Calling Poch Vader experts! What is this weird frankenstein Vader?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Calling Poch Vader experts! What is this weird frankenstein Vader? Empty Calling Poch Vader experts! What is this weird frankenstein Vader?

Post by Mulbin Sun May 03, 2020 10:51 am

Hi all, I've posted this on a few forums and read as much as I can find online (including here). I picked this vader up recently and wondered if it is either a Poch, or some sort of transitional Poch mashup? Its got some Poch features, and missing others. And also seems to have mismatched legs, with one greyer and shorter than the other!

The figure including COO are a perfect match for the one on variant villain - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It came with a ripped vinyl cape (not rugose) which is slightly longer than my other vader capes. Also a rounded saber with a missing tip.

So far the features that this forum and other sources suggest are correct for Poch...

Poorly cast/rough head.
Round EPM on back of head
Randomly sized buttons on belt
Red paint slightly more orange than my other vaders
Hong Kong COO - matches exactly the variantvillain example
Mismatched legs - seem to be from different sculpts, one is tight one loose, one is slightly greyer.
A little more flashing on shoulder than usual

Things not typically Poch

No large piece of flashing in groin (although there is a tiny bit).
No burn marks that I can see.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Any help picking apart this strange mashup figure gratefully recieved!
Mulbin
Mulbin
Corellia Chugen

Yavin Honor : 20

Back to top Go down

Calling Poch Vader experts! What is this weird frankenstein Vader? Empty Re: Calling Poch Vader experts! What is this weird frankenstein Vader?

Post by Commander Clint Sun May 03, 2020 6:23 pm

I sent a message to someone that maybe able to help identify the figure.  He hopes to help you out, sometime this week.

btw. welcome on board.
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Yavin Honor : 26785
Focus : Canadian Items & cardbacks, loose variants

Back to top Go down

Calling Poch Vader experts! What is this weird frankenstein Vader? Empty Re: Calling Poch Vader experts! What is this weird frankenstein Vader?

Post by Mulbin Sun May 03, 2020 7:18 pm

That's great thanks! Its actually a bit more of a mashup than I realised as the arms are also not a match for the sculpt.

Here's a comparison to show the bits it's made up from!

All the "sculpt A" limbs are tight, but the "sculpt B" leg is loose.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Mulbin
Mulbin
Corellia Chugen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mulbin Mon May 04, 2020 8:03 pm

Further to my last post, I've now also spotted that the back half of both torsos are the same sculpt, its just had a different sculpt welded to the front.

Mulbin
Mulbin
Corellia Chugen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mulbin Thu May 07, 2020 10:17 am

Anyone?

I’ve not been able to get a response anywhere on the internet. Have I really discovered a new figure no-one knows about?
Mulbin
Mulbin
Corellia Chugen

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Thu May 07, 2020 2:11 pm

Mulbin wrote:Anyone?

I’ve not been able to get a response anywhere on the internet. Have I really discovered a new figure no-one knows about?

I'll ask a couple more collectors to have a look at it.
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by ourchickenshack Thu May 07, 2020 4:58 pm

I remember reading somewhere that mismatched figures were often found in Tri Logo packages . It was something to do with Kenner's last ditch attempt to get rid of their remaining figure stock . If I remember correctly , excess figure parts were gathered from different factories and put together for release in Tri Logo packaging . This could help explain why your Vader has parts from different molds . I am far from a expert and this may or may not be true but maybe it is a area you could research to see if it helps answer your questions .
ourchickenshack
ourchickenshack
Dagobah Daimyo

Yavin Honor : 27918
Focus : Farceur Mollification

Back to top Go down

Post by Mulbin Thu May 07, 2020 6:49 pm

ourchickenshack wrote:I remember reading somewhere that mismatched figures were often found in Tri Logo packages . It was something to do with Kenner's last ditch attempt to get rid of their remaining figure stock . If I remember correctly , excess figure parts were gathered from different factories and put together for release in Tri Logo packaging . This could help explain why your Vader has parts from different molds . I am far from a expert and this may or may not be true but maybe it is a area you could research to see if it helps answer your questions .

I'm in the UK so a tri-logo or Palitoy definitely make sense. The saber it came with (although possibly not the one it was sold with) is certainly a match for my other UK vader dome tips. And the cloak is a regular vinyl, although a little longer than my Palitoys.
Mulbin
Mulbin
Corellia Chugen

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Thu May 07, 2020 6:55 pm

Our main PBP/Poch expert Javier, doesn't think it's Poch.

Have you read the PBP/Poch Guide thread over on TIG. Most of our European variant collecting Mod's helped put that thread together. Marco, Javi, Kenneth, etc.....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristianC Fri May 08, 2020 10:11 am

I was about to suggest asking Javi so good work Clint. Yeah I'd say Javi's assessments are usually pretty safe.
ChristianC
ChristianC
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 6843
Focus : Luke Skywalker (all outfits) - MOC, loose variants and bootlegs

http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top