Model Trem Vader Cape ???

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Model Trem Vader Cape ??? Empty Model Trem Vader Cape ???

Post by ourchickenshack Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:40 pm

I thought I would post the 1st official question here Wink

I have a friend that lives in Texas that constantly has me buy Star Wars figures for him . Unfortunately he doesn't always do his research to make sure he is getting what he wants - most of the time I catch the things he missed and can keep him from buying stuff that isn't what he thinks it is .

Recently he saw this Vader on ebay and wanted it : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

pics of the figure from the auction :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

He already had a Glasslite Vader and Saber and was mainly wanting the cape (although I didn't realize this until after he had me buy it for him) . This was a rare case where I just assumed he knew what he was after and didn't research the figure myself Embarassed

After I had already purchased it and the figure was on the way from Brazil , my friend wrote and told me he was concerned about the cape being Glasslite . At this point I started to research it too and sure enough , I am 99 % sure that the cape is not Glasslite ( the shortness should have been a dead giveaway to either of us had we researched him properly first  Rolling Eyes ) .

Here are my pics before I cleaned the cape up :

Here's the cape after I washed it with soap and water and did the hot water trick to smooth and flatten it out :

so by now I am pretty positive it isn't Glasslite No

However I got to thinking - is there a slim chance it could be Model Trem - certainly a possibility sice Glasslite and Model Trem both originate from Brazil . The cape is also quite brittle , particularly around the arm holes and there are quite a few little tears in the armholes as well . I would have to believe , due to the wear/age that the cape is either Trem or was a 30 year old homemade cape .

here are a couple pics of Trem Vaders I found :

Looking at the 2nd pic - you can see the length seems to be a pretty close match and the texture on both sides of the cape looks the same too Question

so at this point I am hoping it is a Model Trem cape but the one thing that is still baffling me is the armholes - I can't find pics of the armholes on a Model Trem cape Suspect

The cape also looks like it might have been hand cut , but , since Trem was a Brazilian Bootleg maker I could imagine that it may be possible for the hand cut and weird armholes .

I need some help guys - what are your thoughts ... I am stumped confused
ourchickenshack
ourchickenshack
Dagobah Daimyo

Yavin Honor : 27918
Focus : Farceur Mollification

Back to top Go down

Model Trem Vader Cape ??? Empty Re: Model Trem Vader Cape ???

Post by Dr Dengar Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:37 pm

I don't have a Model Trem Vader to check and help you further, James.

But I found some other pics of MT Vaders, which might might.

Taken from: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Taken from: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Maybe PM MartijnEmmelot to have a look at your cape?
Dr Dengar
Dr Dengar
Bespin Busho

Yavin Honor : 4514
Focus : Lili Ledy, PBP, MIB.

Back to top Go down

Post by chris.75 Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:25 pm

Unfortunately I do not have a Trem Vader either James Crying or Very sad
but it definitely isn't Glasslite you are correct there. The texture and length do match up nicely to the Trem capes in the pics though. It is certainly a possibility, so definitely worth hanging on to. But should definitely not be considered an accessory for the Glasslite figure, and as that is the reason your friend wanted to purchase the figure, then unfortunately he has not been lucky this time.
However Model Trem are highly sort after, there may be a collector out there with a Trem vader looking for a cape, so if it is Trem, not a total loss Smile Perhaps give Bill Mcbride a message, as I know he has a complete boxed one.
chris.75
chris.75
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 10021
Focus : Darth Vader, as well as Kenner, PBP, Poch, LL, GL and other lines, basically everything vintage sw I can get my hands on!!

Back to top Go down

Post by ourchickenshack Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:58 pm

Thanks Marco and Chris cheers

yes - we are both disappointed about it not being Glasslite but maybe if were lucky it will turn out to be a Trem (not a trim What a Face )

I think if I could find a pic of a Model Trem cape armholes that would be a good indicator scratch
ourchickenshack
ourchickenshack
Dagobah Daimyo

Back to top Go down

Post by JaviSWSpain Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:46 pm

Hi , i think i have a similar cape .Mine comes with an only"Taiwan" Vader and since i received it i was wondering if its real or repro. To me looks like the one you have there James.Yours as well as mine looks like Hand cutted and  no simetric shape, which usually means  bad news. Also in  yours looks like the arm holes been made by using a common machine to make holes in papers twice on each arm hole??Taking in account your picts, now i vote for repro on both , yours and mines.
JaviSWSpain
JaviSWSpain
Yavin Yari

Yavin Honor : 125

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Dengar Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:25 pm

Hi Javi,

Does your cape feels sandy?
In that case, don't worry about your cape too much. My Taiwan (only) COO Vader also came with a sandy feeling cape.

Also Oscar (M4K3R1) describes this sandy cape as one of the capes which was released with Taiwan only Vaders.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The cape James is describing is a different type, I think. Its length is much shorter than a regular cape.
Dr Dengar
Dr Dengar
Bespin Busho

Yavin Honor : 4514
Focus : Lili Ledy, PBP, MIB.

Back to top Go down

Post by ourchickenshack Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:36 pm

Kind of what I thought about Javi's cape too Marco Very Happy

It looks correct for a Taiwan cape to me - they are quite a bit different then most standard Kenner capes Very Happy
ourchickenshack
ourchickenshack
Dagobah Daimyo

Back to top Go down

Post by chris.75 Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:43 pm

There are three TW capes. Smooth, sandy and roguse. The big difference between the TW cape and your possible Trem James, would be the length. The repro/Trem cape is much shorter.
chris.75
chris.75
Tatooine Taisho

Focus : Darth Vader, as well as Kenner, PBP, Poch, LL, GL and other lines, basically everything vintage sw I can get my hands on!!

Back to top Go down

Post by JaviSWSpain Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:44 pm

Thanks Marco,i was aware about the thread , thanks anyway Smile
But mine looks hand cutted which is a bad sing .Also the cape form James looks very the same as mine , maybe the plain side is a bit different but the sandy feel is the same .
Btw i couldn't find a proper picts of the "TW only" cape Sad
JaviSWSpain
JaviSWSpain
Yavin Yari

Back to top Go down

Post by chris.75 Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:48 pm

here you go Javi. Although very thin, the cape should be die cut. No2 is the sabdy textured cape. Although capes 1 &2 can be found on both MITW and TW, I think that only the roguse cape is exclusive to the TW only figure.
chris.75
chris.75
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by JaviSWSpain Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:54 pm

Hi  Chris,  the cape on the Trem figure is hand cut , which is a bad sign IMO .I would say no MT cape should looks like a Kenner (TW only) cape, or??
Here you are some new picts of my supposed "TW only" cape for comparison James Smile
JaviSWSpain
JaviSWSpain
Yavin Yari

Back to top Go down

Post by JaviSWSpain Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:58 pm

Many thanks for the Picts Chris!!really appreciate it. I know about the existence of all those 3 different capes , i still don't know if mine is the same .The feel on mine is sandy, like "Lycra" fiber?? very elastic and soft???
JaviSWSpain
JaviSWSpain
Yavin Yari

Back to top Go down

Post by chris.75 Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:55 pm

here is the only repro cape that I have, bought from blister sisters in Spain. I bought for reference purposes.
Mine is die cut, but looks to be of very similar texture to your Cape javi. It is quite thin, with square cut corners. It has a slightly rough, sandy feel to one side, and the other is smooth. TW capes however are very similar to this, also having square cut corners a sandy texture to one side and also quite thin. Unfortunately all my TW capes are smooth, so I am unable to make a comparison, but hopefully these repro cape pics are of use to you. The only difference between my repro and your TW cape, is that mine is die cut.

Edit:
actually looking closely at the edges of my repro, I'm not sure it is die cut now.

Front:

Back:

it might be worth dropping Oscar a PM Javi, as he has seen a lot of TW capes.
chris.75
chris.75
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top