Great old school store photo. Anyone know where it came from?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Great old school store photo. Anyone know where it came from?  Empty Great old school store photo. Anyone know where it came from?

Post by ChristianC Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:00 am

So this photo has been doing the rounds the past few days. Anyone know the source? Just curious. I remember when Ron Salvatore posted some awesome and original store photos on RS but he was almost never credited when they were shared a million times on FB. The next time he posted store photos he inserted a watermark on the photos and was the criticised for selfishly watermarking them. You just can't win sometimes with vintage collectors.

I really love this photo and the look on his face really sums up how it was back then. My uncle used to take me to the Grace Bros department store in Sydney every Thursday night and let me choose one figure. We didn't get a lot in those days so it used to take me an hour to choose. Especially because the other bastard kids used to snaffle up the Lukes before I got there! I'm getting my revenge now...

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]
ChristianC
ChristianC
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 6848
Focus : Luke Skywalker (all outfits) - MOC, loose variants and bootlegs

http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com

Back to top Go down

Great old school store photo. Anyone know where it came from?  Empty Re: Great old school store photo. Anyone know where it came from?

Post by Sturm86 Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:16 pm

Great picture (:
And that awful torture we had to go through when we were kids... which figure to pick? Neutral I guess now we face the same thing and sometimes have to choose between buying a figure or paying bills lol!
Sturm86
Sturm86
Sullust Samurai

Yavin Honor : 1559
Focus : Tie Fighter & Tie Pilot

Back to top Go down

Great old school store photo. Anyone know where it came from?  Empty Re: Great old school store photo. Anyone know where it came from?

Post by ChristianC Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:41 pm

Sturm86 wrote: I guess now we face the same thing and sometimes have to choose between buying a figure or paying bills lol!

Haha too true! Except for me I also have the problem of choosing between a figure and a comic Smile Comics have been winning these past six months but I'll need to balance it out again soon.
ChristianC
ChristianC
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:26 pm

Not sure where the picture came from? It was taken in the US, by the logo on the kids shirt. popcorn
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Yavin Honor : 26800
Focus : Canadian Items & cardbacks, loose variants

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:45 pm

Picture reminds me of Woolworths scratch
Nico
Nico
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 10144
Focus : Loose variants (Lando)

Back to top Go down

Post by cantina_patron Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:03 pm

I can't help with the source of the picture Christian, but that image certainly brings back a lot of nostalgia for me... those were the days.
cantina_patron
cantina_patron
Bespin Busho

Yavin Honor : 5600
Focus : Cardbacks, loose variants, Lili Ledy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chancellor_Peter Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:28 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Apparently this picture with the lucky young man with "Decisions, Decisions, Decisions" running in his mind was traced back to Plastic Galaxy: The Story of Star Wars Toys (2014). Have you contacted the director Brian Stillman about the source of this picture?

ChristianC wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Chancellor_Peter on Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chancellor_Peter
Chancellor_Peter
Outer Rim Ronin

Yavin Honor : 524
Location : Somewhere out there in the Outer Rim Territories....
Focus : Mint In Box Vehicles, Playsets, Display Stands, Loose & Complete figures and Variants, 1985 POTF Coins and TESB MOC figures

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristianC Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:43 pm

Thanks Peter that's all I wanted to know. Didn't realise it was from Plastic Galaxy.
ChristianC
ChristianC
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by hellhippie Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:17 pm

great picture wish I owned all of it

Bespin Busho

Yavin Honor : 5322
Focus : Variants

Back to top Go down

Post by Chancellor_Peter Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:38 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You are welcome mate, and I hope you get further information you seek from Brian Stillman. Wink From the looks of this picture my guess it would have been March-April 1983 when some of the first few ROTJ figures like General Madine have hit the shelves on ROTJ 65A Card Backs.  Also earlier figures such as Sandpeople, Death Star Droid, Princess Leia (Bespin Gown) and 4-LOM on ROTJ 48D Nien Nunb Offer Card Backs as well as a TESB 48 B/C Card Back AT-AT Commander can been as unsold figures from earlier assortments have affirmed that this is a U.S. Toy Shop.

ChristianC wrote:I really love this photo and the look on his face really sums up how it was back then. My uncle used to take me to the Grace Bros department store in Sydney every Thursday night and let me choose one figure. We didn't get a lot in those days so it used to take me an hour to choose. Especially because the other bastard kids used to snaffle up the Lukes before I got there! I'm getting my revenge now...

Do you recall what packaging the TOLTOYS Star Wars figures in Grace Bros Department Store were when you were allowed to choose one figure?  Please do share your vivid childhood memories here. Smile
Chancellor_Peter
Chancellor_Peter
Outer Rim Ronin

Focus : Mint In Box Vehicles, Playsets, Display Stands, Loose & Complete figures and Variants, 1985 POTF Coins and TESB MOC figures

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristianC Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:47 am

Mate my childhood memories are all a haze.....It's funny because I had a large SW collection as a kid but I remember shit all about the packaging. I ripped it off and got stuck into the toys. i barely even remember what figs I had except for about five of them. I can't believe how so many collectors vividly remember the packaging. Wonder if they are just making it up sometimes???
ChristianC
ChristianC
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by Chancellor_Peter Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:50 pm

ChristianC wrote:I can't believe how so many collectors vividly remember the packaging. Wonder if they are just making it up sometimes???

I can speak for myself that I do have vivid childhood to teenage memories of the year and packaging of what I have seen starting from the STAR WARS 12 Backs in 1978 until the POWER OF THE FORCE 92 Backs in 1985. I don't need to make things up and its also that I have faithfully kept 95% of the Card Backs and 100% of the boxes of my Vintage Star Wars figures and Mini-Rig vehicles that I have bought from 1981 to 1986.

Chancellor_Peter
Chancellor_Peter
Outer Rim Ronin

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top