DUTCH COMIC CON - 26-27 March 2016

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DUTCH COMIC CON - 26-27 March 2016  Empty DUTCH COMIC CON - 26-27 March 2016

Post by ChristianC Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:46 am

Hey guys I was at the Dutch Comic Con all weekend. I had a cracker of a time! I was so excited to meet some comic book artists that I actually turned up at the event before it opened on the first day. Huge queue to get in but it was well managed. Actually the whole event ran really well and I was impressed with how much there was to do. Some excellent comic book artists and writers were there, a few Sci-Fi TV stars, and I couldn't believe how many back issue comic vendors had set up shop. Crazy cheap too. Not too much vintage Star Wars but to be honest though I didn't really focus on vintage as I collect comics and it was a comic con after all.... There were some great costumes and of course some very sexy Harley Quinns!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />

Some of the vintage SW for  sale.

The prices for these empty boxes were disgraceful. Then again at least they aren't reproduction replicators or whatever the hell that dude calls his abominations....

A different vintage shop.

I chatted with Paul Blake for a while and you really could have not have met a better bloke. Super easy-going and was happy to chat about Star Wars. I got a photo signed by him and also got him to pose with the Tantive Traveller, It actually cost 10 euros to get a posed photo with him but he did it for free. I was pretty embarrassed when I pulled out the Tantive Traveller but he was a great sport. Seems that Paul actually met the little fella at the Scarborough Sci-Fi con last year but not sure he remembered him...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />" />

I met Billy Dee Williams as well but to be honest I was a little disappointed. I was super pumped to meet him and get something signed but he really looked like he wanted to be anywhere but there. I was carrying on, thanking him for his role in SW blah blah, but he barely acknowledged me. When I went to shake his hand he looked at my hand with disgust and fist pumped me instead (not the kind of fist pumping Alex likes). He did do a panel later and that was kinda cool. He's 78 years old so maybe I'm being too harsh...

Not the best photo. Billy Dee Williams appearing for a Q&A with the fans. Was a great turn out and most of the fans were pretty young which is good news for the franchise.

They had a special photo shoot set up for the upcoming Captain America Civil War movie. It's hard to see but I'm holding the Tantive mascot. Yep I look pretty thrilled to be there.

Although it was cool meeting the SW guys and seeing some of the vintage, I was there pretty much mainly to see the comic book creators. I had comic books to get signed and one commission to request.

I pretty much ran through the entry doors straight to Tony Moore, co-creator of The Walking Dead and artist on the first six issues. I'm a massive fan of the WD comic so this was a big moment for me as a comic collector. Tony has also drawn a load for Deadpool, which I'm also a big fan of. I'm suprised he wasn't mobbed but that's the good thing about going to cons in places like Holland, Belgium and France; American or British creators aren't as popular as the locals as European ones.

I had Tony sign about 15 comics and commissioned him to do a small sketch on one of my Deadpool comics. He ended up drawing a Zombie Deadpool. I loved it!

Hmmh how is it going to turn out?

Fantastic!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I won't share all the comics that Tony signed but I do love these covers in particular. Amazing work.

The sketch and the autographs were cool but it was even better just being able to chat with someone who has been so instrumental in creating comics that bring me so much enjoyment. I talked with him for ages about the comics industry, The Walking Dead, Deadpool and his career in general. Even though he wasn't really involved in The Walking Dead TV adaptation he loves the show and is really proud that he played a role in its creation. The comic is still going strong too.

He and his wife live in Cincinnati so of course I carried on about my passion for Kenner and vintage SW. They both love SW and said they knew people who used to go through dumpsters for prototypes and his wife used to be a regular at the famous 'The Earth' bricks and mortars shop there. They even talked about the Dewey Shumate auction (former Kenner employee) that was held last year.

I chatted also to well-known comic book artists Stephen Scott (Batman, X-Men Forever) and Mike Grell (mainly known for his work on the Green Arrow - his creations were the inspiration for the characters in the current TV show). Both great guys. I'd actually met them a few weeks earlier at a book signing at Henks comic shop in Amsterdam (my favourite comic store in The Netherlands). Steve kept calling me "Obi Wan." I had a couple of pieces commissioned by them. Fantastic stuff. Steve actually made prints of the Batman sketch he did for me and he told me they have been crazy popular. It was the first time he's ever produced that sketch too so I pretty chuffed to own such an original piece.

Here's the Batman that Steve did.

And a classic Green Arrow from Mike.

A couple of weeks before this signing I actually went to another comic book artist signing at Henk's. Steve was there but this time Phil Jimenez was there too. Both super chilled and friendly guys. Not to mention amazing artists. Steve did a free Batman sketch for me and I bought this special print.

I was lucky enough to also meet Joe Hill and Chris Ryall at the con, the creator and editor respectively of another great comic - Locke and Key. We chatted about their work but they also gave me some great tips about writing novels and creating comics. Really blessed to get the chance to receive advice from such accomplished writers. It actually came out during one of the panels that Joe used the pen name to Joe Hill from his real name Joe King so his work would get judged on his merits rather than on his father's. Yep, his dad is Stephen King.

I got the guys to sign a couple of versions of their most famous comic.

Okay well enough about writers, artists and SW, Here are a few of the cosplay photos and other random snaps I took.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/URL][/img]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />" />" />" />" />" />" />" />" />" />" />" />" />" />" />" />" />" />" />" />" />" />" />" />" />" />" />" />
Enjoy!

Last edited by ChristianC on Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:43 am; edited 14 times in total
ChristianC
ChristianC
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 6843
Focus : Luke Skywalker (all outfits) - MOC, loose variants and bootlegs

http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com

Back to top Go down

DUTCH COMIC CON - 26-27 March 2016  Empty Re: DUTCH COMIC CON - 26-27 March 2016

Post by Commander Clint Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:48 pm

Nicely done, Christian. clapping Paul Blake looks a bit older that he did last year in Scarborough, with Alex.

It's too bad Billy Dee wasn't have a great day. But you still managed to meet him and get an autograph.
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Yavin Honor : 26785
Focus : Canadian Items & cardbacks, loose variants

Back to top Go down

DUTCH COMIC CON - 26-27 March 2016  Empty Re: DUTCH COMIC CON - 26-27 March 2016

Post by Sturm86 Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:07 pm

Awsome thanks for sharing (:
Sturm86
Sturm86
Sullust Samurai

Yavin Honor : 1559
Focus : Tie Fighter & Tie Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by ourchickenshack Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:42 pm

Super Cool Christian cheers

I can't wait to see the rest of your experience Very Happy
ourchickenshack
ourchickenshack
Dagobah Daimyo

Yavin Honor : 27918
Focus : Farceur Mollification

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristianC Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:44 am

Thanks guys!

I've updated the main post as well.
ChristianC
ChristianC
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by cantina_patron Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:29 pm

It looks like a well organised event Christian. I'm glad you had a great time! Very Happy
cantina_patron
cantina_patron
Bespin Busho

Yavin Honor : 5600
Focus : Cardbacks, loose variants, Lili Ledy

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristianC Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:43 am

cantina_patron wrote:It looks like a well organised event Christian. I'm glad you had a great time! Very Happy

Thanks Steve! Yeah mate it was brilliant.
ChristianC
ChristianC
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top