The Toltoys Mold Spots Misinformation and Other Unconfirmed Theories Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Toltoys Mold Spots Misinformation and Other Unconfirmed Theories Thread Empty The Toltoys Mold Spots Misinformation and Other Unconfirmed Theories Thread

Post by The84th Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:48 am

***Mod Edit***

Unfortunately The 84th did not take the criticism that was posted in this thread well and proceeded to delete the majority of the photos and comments he had made - not only this thread but most of the other threads he had posted in as well . Basically he got rather pissy and "took his ball and went home" .

Due to the deletion of his posts and photos he received a life time ban from TXI Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by The84th on Wed May 04, 2016 6:39 am; edited 2 times in total
The84th
Corellia Chugen

Yavin Honor : 100
Focus : Variants

Back to top Go down

The Toltoys Mold Spots Misinformation and Other Unconfirmed Theories Thread Empty Re: The Toltoys Mold Spots Misinformation and Other Unconfirmed Theories Thread

Post by Chancellor_Peter Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:24 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Is speckled limbs exclusive to only Toltoys made Star Wars figures? scratch
Chancellor_Peter
Chancellor_Peter
Outer Rim Ronin

Yavin Honor : 524
Location : Somewhere out there in the Outer Rim Territories....
Focus : Mint In Box Vehicles, Playsets, Display Stands, Loose & Complete figures and Variants, 1985 POTF Coins and TESB MOC figures

Back to top Go down

The Toltoys Mold Spots Misinformation and Other Unconfirmed Theories Thread Empty Re: The Toltoys Mold Spots Misinformation and Other Unconfirmed Theories Thread

Post by The84th Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:46 pm

That is the question. I have only seen figures with these spots sold as "Toltoys" . While talking with a collector in Australia , we are thinking the fungi found on Poch figures grows more in certain climates. The brown plastic used on LL Obiwan and Jawa are the same. Since the spotted Jawa is famous for being considered Toltoys and Obiwan has the same spots. It is possible they share the same brown plastic also and from same factory. Also I have another Obiwan with smaller black specks, but different COO.
The84th
Corellia Chugen

Back to top Go down

Post by Akial Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:17 pm

This one has the faded limbs as well but no spots on it. In the discription is written about green spots, but I cannot spot any
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
BTW I missed to bid on this one very nice price with original saber and cape pale
Akial
Akial
Yavin Yari

Yavin Honor : 745
Focus : loose variants, customizing, cardboard playsets, Ugnaught

Back to top Go down

Post by The84th Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:26 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Thanks! Yeah I remember watching that listing.

and also this one: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
You can see spots on this one almost.
Im not 100% sure , but I think I was talking to that seller before he listed. I'm always searching variants. If the same, got a lot of low quality Spotted figure pictures from him, of his friends "toltoy" collection (all in Australia) . I have many spotted figures, but no Jawa yet and none directly from Australia.

Like you said, they claim spots, but mine really shows them like the Jawa.
The84th
Corellia Chugen

Back to top Go down

Post by cantina_patron Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:18 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it the only Toltoys exclusive 'loose' figures are the Jawa as it was released on ESB cards after the Kenner & Palitoy SW releases (hense the different cape) & Taiwan only coo Vader. All other Toltoys 'loose' figures are standard Kenner? It may be that the environmental conditions in Australia / New Zealand led to some figures having these mould spots, but the figures themselves were produced in Asia like many Kenner figures and are not exclusive to Toltoys. Once removed from the packaging, they are standard Kenner. Mould spots / discolouration does not make a variant as they did not leave the factory this way.
cantina_patron
cantina_patron
Bespin Busho

Yavin Honor : 5600
Focus : Cardbacks, loose variants, Lili Ledy

Back to top Go down

Post by chris.75 Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:07 pm

Even the Taiwan only coo Vader has not been confirmed as exclusive to Toltoys cards, some have been found in the U.S too, I believe.
It's just that more samples show up in Australia than anywhere else.
Like Steve Said it is just the darker VCJ, appearing on a later card, that made it exclusive to Toltoys.

The mould spots in the plastic are likely to be because they originated from the same Asian factory as early PBP Poch figures.
The Kader factory in Hong Kong is notorious for the figures that it produced, ending up with spots and faded limbs & torsos.

Last edited by chris.75 on Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
chris.75
chris.75
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 10011
Focus : Darth Vader, as well as Kenner, PBP, Poch, LL, GL and other lines, basically everything vintage sw I can get my hands on!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Dengar Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:15 pm

Fully agree with Steve and Chris here.

To add: Probably it was the nature of the exact plastic used by Kader industries rendering it more susceptible to microbial growth in the decades to follow if conditions were supportive (humid, higher temperature)

I don't think that all fungi originated from Kader.
But these were just infections from the local environment.
Dr Dengar
Dr Dengar
Bespin Busho

Yavin Honor : 4514
Focus : Lili Ledy, PBP, MIB.

Back to top Go down

Post by cantina_patron Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:52 pm

chris.75 wrote:Even the Taiwan only coo Vader is not confirmed as exclusive to Toltoys cards, some have been found in the U.S too, I believe.

Thank you for your input Chris, I was not aware that some 'Taiwan' only coo Vaders have cropped up in the US, but then I see no reason why they shouldn't. Very Happy
cantina_patron
cantina_patron
Bespin Busho

Yavin Honor : 5600
Focus : Cardbacks, loose variants, Lili Ledy

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:08 pm

It's probably the same plastic. The difference could be do to plastic starting to discolour &/or the pigments used in the plastic?
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Yavin Honor : 26800
Focus : Canadian Items & cardbacks, loose variants

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Dengar Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:19 pm

84th,

Maybe you can start writing your own PhD thesis based upon your research:
"On the Origin of Life and on UV fluorescence emission profiles of vintage Star Wars figures in relation to differences in plastic composition, microbiological mould flora identification, and mondial distribution of manufacturing plastic injection sites." Very Happy

Ok seriously, it might be just me and I don't want to sound like a dig, though I probably do - but I am having a hard time understanding some of your recent posts on our forum. You obviously try to proof something. Which theory is tested here and how do the results provide support for it?

Please don't get me wrong, doing research is a good thing, and I encourage everyone to do some research on their own.

However you don't want to confuse our members. Before we know it collectors are convinced that they can for instance identify Lili Ledy figures by using a black light instead of looking at unique paint differences. That would be an all wrong message to them.

We really do care about our community so please keep this into consideration when posting on this forum. Wild theories are cool but presenting them as facts without sound support is not cool.

I hope you understand.

Marco
Dr Dengar
Dr Dengar
Bespin Busho

Yavin Honor : 4514
Focus : Lili Ledy, PBP, MIB.

Back to top Go down

Post by General Kahn Sun May 01, 2016 4:03 pm

I totally agree with you there Marco, the whole U.V. thing was debated on FB a while back where Ozio PROVED without question that this technique CANNOT be used to identify Lili Ledy figures when he used a black light on numerous authentic Lili Ledy figures and the results where different on everyone.

Mis-information is not good in this hobby, especially in these times.

Sullust Samurai

Yavin Honor : 3066
Focus : Luke Bespin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pantzman Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:21 pm

Ahh The Great UV (non) mystery. Looks like a stepped in a dog shit when I bought this up on Facebook last week. Shame he deleted his posts, would have still been an interesting read.
Pantzman
Pantzman
Corellia Chugen

Yavin Honor : 63
Focus : Ledy. Variants. Droids and ewoks TV series.

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:52 pm

Mark, I think there are too many unknowns about the plastic itself, that would affect the reliability of using UV light to determine the origin of a figure. The different batch to batch variations of additives would make a difference. Not to mention the plastic degradation itself would change how the figure looks under UV light. The one thing that UV (black light) is good at finding is paint touch-ups.
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Yavin Honor : 26800
Focus : Canadian Items & cardbacks, loose variants

Back to top Go down

Post by Pantzman Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:16 pm

I thought I'd hit the jackpot when all my Ledy ERG's head started glowing. I've done loads of research on this particular figure and thought this was it! But it seems all MIHK may glow too.
Pantzman
Pantzman
Corellia Chugen

Yavin Honor : 63
Focus : Ledy. Variants. Droids and ewoks TV series.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top