Straightening a MOC's Cardback: Can it be done?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Straightening a MOC's Cardback: Can it be done?  Empty Straightening a MOC's Cardback: Can it be done?

Post by the89thchris Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:34 pm

I've got this 3po 12-back that's bent right through the middle. This bend has clearly caused some seperation of the corners of the bubble though it still appears to be sealed and the bubble doesn't move or look open.

Just curious if any of you have ever tried to straighten or flatten a card like this, or if you think it's even worth the risk.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
the89thchris
the89thchris
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 5170
Focus : Complete loose Kenner figures & a few MOC's.

https://www.instagram.com/thechrisporteous/

Back to top Go down

Straightening a MOC's Cardback: Can it be done?  Empty Re: Straightening a MOC's Cardback: Can it be done?

Post by Commander Clint Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:31 pm

Hopefully some of the MOC collectors will be able to help.

I would think if you carefully put a heavy book on the creased part for a while, it should start to flatten out.
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Yavin Honor : 26785
Focus : Canadian Items & cardbacks, loose variants

Back to top Go down

Straightening a MOC's Cardback: Can it be done?  Empty Re: Straightening a MOC's Cardback: Can it be done?

Post by the89thchris Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:56 pm

I was thinking that but since part of the crease is on the edge of the bubble I'm a bit worried that it will cause further separation of the bubble.

I'm hoping there is a technique that I'm not aware of.
the89thchris
the89thchris
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:13 pm

Chris, I've done this but used a heavier book  What a Face
The seal of the bubble is also being pressed down by the book
Nico
Nico
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 10144
Focus : Loose variants (Lando)

Back to top Go down

Post by the89thchris Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:27 pm

I don't suppose you got a before and after pic? For some reason I can't see that making much difference on this one.
the89thchris
the89thchris
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian_C Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:04 pm

It'll take time, but it can be done by placing it under a heavy object like a book. Give it at least a couple of weeks, if not longer. If you are exceptionally careful, it is possible to use an iron for better and faster results, but you're using heat and moisture, so one mistake, and the card and/or bubble are in worse shape than they are now.

However, if there is a noticeable crease line where the bend is, there is no point. It won't change the value at that point.

Ian
Ian_C
Ian_C
Sullust Samurai

Yavin Honor : 2361
Focus : Kenner Production

https://www.tantivexi.com

Back to top Go down

Post by the89thchris Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:56 pm

It's about as low value as a 12 back can get already, I really just want to do it so it sits nicer in the case and doesn't look as distorted. I'm just worried about the bubble coming off so I might just go the book route.

Do you think I should be concerned about the book surface touching the card? Maybe a acid free comic bag or something in between might be better. If I detached the bubble I'd be so ashamed lol I don't suspect I'll buy anymore 12 backs unless they're this condition or worse.

On some level I think I compulsively bought it because it looked like a ripe target for somebody who wanted a crazy AFA U-Grade. Had to avoid that from happening.
the89thchris
the89thchris
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:39 pm

You could try using a 6x9" "top loader" storage jacket to secure and flatten the card. I remember a discussion on TIG a few years back, about using them for bubbles that are starting to detach. I'll have to find the thread later.
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by the89thchris Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:08 pm

Interesting so you'd just cut a section for the bubble in advance. Might look pretty rough like that but it could straighten it over time I suppose.

Last edited by the89thchris on Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
the89thchris
the89thchris
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:12 pm

Just plan out where the hole gets cut & take your time cutting it out.  You might be surprised how good it looks.
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by poncho Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:18 pm

in my experience with my beater mocs id leave it be. you can cause a visible stress line
poncho
poncho
Sullust Samurai

Yavin Honor : 1951

Back to top Go down

Post by ourchickenshack Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:46 am

Here's a link to a thread at Rebel Scum with some pretty detailed instructions on using the top loader method Clint mentioned Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

ourchickenshack
ourchickenshack
Dagobah Daimyo

Yavin Honor : 27918
Focus : Farceur Mollification

Back to top Go down

Post by the89thchris Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:47 pm

Thanks for the link, that seems like it might be a less dangerous method.
the89thchris
the89thchris
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:55 pm

ourchickenshack wrote:Here's a link to a thread at Rebel Scum with some pretty detailed instructions on using the top loader method Clint mentioned  Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks for the link James  cheers I plan to use that method for this detached bubble, when I get round to it  What a Face
Nico
Nico
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 10144
Focus : Loose variants (Lando)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Dengar Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:57 pm

Wow, a Ledy Lando on card.
Nice one, Andy! Very Happy
Dr Dengar
Dr Dengar
Bespin Busho

Yavin Honor : 4514
Focus : Lili Ledy, PBP, MIB.

Back to top Go down

Post by the89thchris Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:42 am

Dr Dengar wrote:Wow, a Ledy Lando on card.
Nice one, Andy! Very Happy

Yeah that is pretty beautiful Very Happy I kinda wish my 41A had the teeth paint. So much more "Lando" lol even though I suppose the no paint is technically older (right?)

This method kinda seems like a final display format but my 3po came a uv resistant afa case so I'd really rather return it to that once it looks a little better. The book method might be more effective.

Too much responsibility lol if only it were a Jedi card so I wouldn't be so afraid.

It's a low value 12 back but still lol don't want to shave one off the population by a false step.
the89thchris
the89thchris
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by chris.75 Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:00 pm

Damn that's a nice Ledy card Andy cheers
I used the top loader method to help straighten my Top Toys Darth Vader MOC. The card has a wave to it and the bubble was lifting a bit on the bottom corner. The top loader helped to flatten the card and secure the bubble.
chris.75
chris.75
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 9996
Focus : Darth Vader, as well as Kenner, PBP, Poch, LL, GL and other lines, basically everything vintage sw I can get my hands on!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ross_Barr Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:09 pm

For cards in my collection with some solid curves to them, I have take two pieces of wood about an inch or so thick, cut them both to match the dimensions of the card, then cut out a space for the bubble on one of the pieces, and then sand the pieces so they are as smooth as a baby's butt.  Then take a hand held steamer and steam both sides of the card quickly (careful not to get too close to the bubble and of course don't soak the card - just get it hot and slightly damp) before putting it between the two pieces of wood as follows:  place a piece of wax paper on each piece of the wood so that the damp card does not stick to the wood and immediately close and put pressure on the two sides.  Use two or three C-clamps and put as much pressure on the contraption as possible.  Let it stay that way for a week or two, and your card will be as flat as a board.  

In my experience, the "heavy book" method doesn't work as it doesn't apply enough pressure to make a difference. The use of the C-clamps with this method applies the requisite pressure to make a difference. Good luck!
Ross_Barr
Ross_Barr
Corellia Chugen

Yavin Honor : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:16 pm

Ross_Barr wrote:For cards in my collection with some solid curves to them, I have take two pieces of wood about an inch or so thick, cut them both to match the dimensions of the card, then cut out a space for the bubble on one of the pieces, and then sand the pieces so they are as smooth as a baby's butt.  Then take a hand held steamer and steam both sides of the card quickly (careful not to get too close to the bubble and of course don't soak the card - just get it hot and slightly damp) before putting it between the two pieces of wood as follows:  place a piece of wax paper on each piece of the wood so that the damp card does not stick to the wood and immediately close and put pressure on the two sides.  Use two or three C-clamps and put as much pressure on the contraption as possible.  Let it stay that way for a week or two, and your card will be as flat as a board.  

In my experience, the "heavy book" method doesn't work as it doesn't apply enough pressure to make a difference.  The use of the C-clamps with this method applies the requisite pressure to make a difference.  Good luck!

Ross, Thanks for the input. That's another great option. cheers
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by the89thchris Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:26 am

Gave it a shot with some books but I suppose I needed to leave it longer. That said I did get about a 15-20% improvement.
the89thchris
the89thchris
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian_C Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:03 am

Well, the card has spent years in its curved shape. It can take several weeks for any corrective action to make significant improvement. Wink

Ian
Ian_C
Ian_C
Sullust Samurai

Yavin Honor : 2361
Focus : Kenner Production

https://www.tantivexi.com

Back to top Go down

Post by arohk Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:56 pm

For me I tend to leave them as I got them it shows history of what the cards went through as well as any price stickers are left on that shows where they have been. I see lots of collectors who like to remove the price sticker which I personally don't get.
arohk
arohk
Outer Rim Ronin

Yavin Honor : 1555
Focus : started on a baggie collection and lil ledy

Back to top Go down

Post by the89thchris Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:33 am

Yeah I'm starting to think that way Larry, mostly out of the abject fear that he is just going to randomly fall off of his card to my complete and utter horror.

My one attempt did some good and as far as I can tell, I didn't make it any worse.
the89thchris
the89thchris
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top