Star Wars Authentics autographed photos

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Star Wars Authentics autographed photos Empty Star Wars Authentics autographed photos

Post by Sturm86 Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:08 am

You guys must have heard of this : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I guess Disney realized a market exists for autographs collectors and secured a new opportunity to make more money here. But how long until they forbid all of their Star Wars cast to offer autographed photos outside of that website, and then the only way to get autographs will be either to order stuff from that official place or at an official Topps booth in conventions?

Actually from what I've read here : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] actors such as John Boyega, Daisy Ridley and a part of Rogue One cast will already only provide autographed photo via this website.

Don't get me wrong, the idea to make autographed photos available more easily is great, but this really looks like a way for Disney to take control of the whole autographs market and squeeze more money from collectors. And with the money Topps must be paying to have the Star Wars license, I don't see them agreeing with actors providing free or cheap photos out of that system.

I'm also not really informed regarding market prices for autographed photos, but I personally find the photos on this website really, really expensive. I mean I guess a photo signed by Hamill, Fisher or Ford has a certain value. But paying $100 or $150 for a photo of BB8 signed by the guy that operates it and that you have never seen and will never see : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I don't mean that his job should be belittled, but $100 really?

And... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ??

I just don't like the idea of a business sticking their nose that way into collector's affairs and telling us how and what to collect. Well it's already somehow the case with the modern figures, though you can still choose from which retailer you will buy them (except for those store exclusives but they are as annoying as this new autograph business) and you still have possibility to buy used and second hands toys and figures. Also the actors don't produce their own figures themselves at home. If an actor wants to sign a photo with their own name either in person or replying to fan mails, Disney shouldn't have to say anything about that.

I suppose the most famous Star Wars actors must receive hundreds of letters or emails each day from fans asking them for autographed pictures, and they just won't reply to any of these mails because that's just impossible. But consider actors playing a more minor role, receiving a letter at home with a picture to sign and send back, and having to refuse doing it because they are legally tied to Topps and Disney and therefore are not allowed to write their own name on a picture of themselves?

It's just my opinion, but given the fact you provide a photo and you are either in person or sending with that photo a stamped/pre-paid enveloppe with a return address (and of course given the fact it is respectful, and it doesn't waste the actor's personal or professional time) an autograph should be free.

That whole autographs authentification business somehow reminds me of "toy grading companies and the damage done".

Again I'm not used at all with how things works in the autographs collectors community, but what's your opinion about this guys?
Sturm86
Sturm86
Sullust Samurai

Yavin Honor : 1559
Focus : Tie Fighter & Tie Pilot

Back to top Go down

Star Wars Authentics autographed photos Empty Re: Star Wars Authentics autographed photos

Post by Commander Clint Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:59 am

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.  I hadn't heard anything about this yet.  I'm not an autograph collector, so I would like to hear what the other guys think?
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Yavin Honor : 26785
Focus : Canadian Items & cardbacks, loose variants

Back to top Go down

Star Wars Authentics autographed photos Empty Re: Star Wars Authentics autographed photos

Post by M4K3R1 Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:35 am

So this now makes sense as to why they would not renew Official Pix licence to sell any more photos
I guess Disney is like any big corporation, maximising profits and cutting out the competition.
I don't think this will sell well for Disney as the prices are very high.
A plain photo costs double that of what OPX was selling them at.
Plus the OPX logo was much nicer.
Would be very difficult to get autographs from these new cast if Disney limits what they can sign, but I hope that doesn't happen.
I am really only interested in Spencer Wilding's autograph from the new cast, so I hope he will be available to sign stuff other than Disneys merchandise.
M4K3R1
M4K3R1
Corellia Chugen

Yavin Honor : 195
Focus : 3-3/4" inch Darth Vader

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian_C Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:39 am

If my understanding is correct, at conventions, the actors in attendance receive 100% of the profits from autograph signings. In demand actors can receive thousands per day doing this. I really can't imagine Disney or anyone else can prevent a person from attending a convention and signing items. What actor would agree to such a deal, tossing away tens of thousands per year, just because Disney wants their exclusive share? Good luck getting OT and PT actors to agree to these terms since most of them haven't even been involved in a Disney project.

I haven't read the article, but perhaps this just means actors will only be able to sign Disney approved photos, and online orders can be only be done through them?

I may have loved Rogue One, but I still despise Disney as a company. This only adds to that.

Ian
Ian_C
Ian_C
Sullust Samurai

Yavin Honor : 2361
Focus : Kenner Production

https://www.tantivexi.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sturm86 Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:19 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] their logos and watermarks on the photos are really intrusive indeed.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I didn't thought about it but thanks for pointing this other issue. I don't know if/how Disney is able to change or add things into the PT and OT actors contracts and legal terms, but what's for sure is that all of the casts of the Disney era movies will have to agree with that.

About the article Ian, it says that there are already some autographs that will only be available on this website. For now it only concerns some of Rogue One actors, and every photos with both Daisy Ridley and John Boyega's autographs on the very same photo. But knowing Disney, once they start going that way...
Sturm86
Sturm86
Sullust Samurai

Yavin Honor : 1559
Focus : Tie Fighter & Tie Pilot

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top