My modest Set Dec collection and a little background on how I got here

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My modest Set Dec collection and a little background on how I got here Empty My modest Set Dec collection and a little background on how I got here

Post by OlderGuyCollects Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:27 am

Hey guys, as mentioned I started collecting again only a few years ago. I realize I jumped back in when prices for all things vintage Star Wars are at an all time high. I guess I’m part of the wave of people that have caused prices to rise. So, sorry for that if you’re buying. Or, you’re welcome if selling!

I started collecting again just like many others before me did -- by collecting loose 1977-1985 Kenner figures. I bought beater lots, pristine lots and individual figures in all kinds of conditions. It was a lot of fun connecting with Star Wars and my youth again.

Alongside collecting vintage figures, just like many others that got back into it as adults, I was also collecting Series 1-5 Topps cards. Again, large and small lots in all conditions. Lots of fun. Waves of nostalgia when seeing certain cards again.

What is perhaps slightly different about my collecting, I think, is that instead of getting hooked on the Kenner figures and Topps cards and pursuing perfect or rare specimens, I was happy with the loose, decent condition sets I’d acquired. I like the patina on decent figures that came from years fan handling. I like cards that are in nice shape but show a little character because they’ve been handled lovingly. Not sure this connection makes sense but I guess it goes with Lucas’ whole philosophy when he was creating Star Wars, and that’s his idea of a used future. Well, it’s now the future compared to 77-83 and my Kenner and Topps collections have been used!

To be clear, I mean no disrespect to those that collect vintage carded figures, sealed Topps cards, unused boxed toys, etc -- those artifacts are absolutely amazing and I’m blown away by some of the collections I see posted.

But the used future philosophy is probably what led me to set dec. That stuff is old and it’s definitely used looking because it was distressed and aged by the craftspeople that created them. And from actual age, sometimes neglect. Like the stuff that was left behind in various deserts.

I should also mention, props to me are things cast members have handled. Or other hero objects that get screen attention. Set dec to me are things like the Krayt Dragon skeleton or pieces of Jabba’s Sail barge -- mid and background objects and textures. “Prop” gets thrown around a lot and is generalized by many to mean just about anything from a set or location. With that said, if I’m boiling it down, I’m currently interested in pieces of set decoration, with strong interests in props and and mid interest in costumes. I love the textures and details in all of those things.

Another thing I like about set dec elements is that they’re usually sort of ugly on their own. A chunk of door frame or wall, poorly ripped or cut pieces of fabric, pieces of broken resin and wood, random metal, etc -- all this stuff is full of detail and texture and I like the beauty in it. Also, these types of artifacts can be split into smaller pieces for trading or giving to friends. Or just making cool little texture displays out of items for your own enjoyment.

I hope I’m not offending anyone with that idea, but splitting up, for example, a large chunk of randomly shaped fabric from a set, from a film production dumpster, from a desert, is completely fine in my books. More collectors get to have a piece. Splitting up any distinguishable prop would obviously be an inexcusable sin. Not sure anyone would even actually do that. I guess I’m talking about inclusion -- only one collector can have that specific screen-used light saber (I’m not envious at all haha). But many collectors can share a large chunk of nondescript Krayt Dragon bone.

Wow, that was long. And not befitting of my junior-sized collection. But anyway, here’s my junior-sized collection! I don’t think anyone will be surprised by any of the items. These are the more common items that come up for sale. I hope to acquire more unique treasures in the future. Also, some items are from prequel eps. I know they’re not considered vintage. I’m not pursuing any more from those eps, but they were available and they got me started.

Death Star 2 -- original uncut section of acid etched brass. Production stock from the Death Star 2 model build.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Jabba’s Sail Barge fabric -- screen used

Dune Sea sand -- from Jabba’s Sail Barge location Buttercup Valley

Mos Espa awning fabric -- screen used

Mos Espa ribbed door frame -- screen used

Vaporator pieces -- screen used Tunisia, Ep II

I have some assorted Ewok fur en route. Should have it late next week, will update. Would love to add some items from Star Wars Ep IV. And of course Empire. But you just don’t see a lot of stuff out there...
OlderGuyCollects
OlderGuyCollects
Corellia Chugen

Yavin Honor : 45
Focus : Props and Set Decoration

Back to top Go down

My modest Set Dec collection and a little background on how I got here Empty Re: My modest Set Dec collection and a little background on how I got here

Post by OlderGuyCollects Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:29 am

So.... Looks like none of the pics were inserted... Try again
TXI UPLOADS
My modest Set Dec collection and a little background on how I got here Attachment
Death Star 2 wide.jpg
My modest Set Dec collection and a little background on how I got here Attachment
Death Star 2 medium.jpg
Death Star 2 close.jpg
OlderGuyCollects
OlderGuyCollects
Corellia Chugen

Back to top Go down

My modest Set Dec collection and a little background on how I got here Empty Re: My modest Set Dec collection and a little background on how I got here

Post by OlderGuyCollects Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:30 am

Jabba’s Sail Barge fabric -- screen used
TXI UPLOADS
Jabba Sail Barge fabric wide.jpg
Jabba Sail Barge fabric medium 1.jpg
Jabba Sail Barge fabric medium 2.jpg
OlderGuyCollects
OlderGuyCollects
Corellia Chugen

Back to top Go down

Post by OlderGuyCollects Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:31 am

Dune Sea sand -- from Jabba’s Sail Barge location Buttercup Valley
TXI UPLOADS
Dune Sea Sand (Buttercup).jpg
OlderGuyCollects
OlderGuyCollects
Corellia Chugen

Back to top Go down

Post by OlderGuyCollects Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:32 am

Mos Espa awning fabric -- screen used
TXI UPLOADS
Mos Espa awning fabric 1.jpg
Mos Espa awning fabric 2.jpg
Mos Espa awning fabric 3.jpg
Mos Espa awning swatch 1.jpg
Mos Espa awning swatch 2.jpg
OlderGuyCollects
OlderGuyCollects
Corellia Chugen

Back to top Go down

Post by OlderGuyCollects Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:33 am

Mos Espa ribbed door frame -- screen used
TXI UPLOADS
Mos Espa door frame.jpg
OlderGuyCollects
OlderGuyCollects
Corellia Chugen

Back to top Go down

Post by OlderGuyCollects Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:33 am

Vaporator pieces - Tunisia, Ep II
TXI UPLOADS
Vaporator component 1.jpg
Vaporator component 2.jpg
OlderGuyCollects
OlderGuyCollects
Corellia Chugen

Back to top Go down

Post by the89thchris Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:27 am

Beautiful pieces. Love the death star brass especially.

It's not hard to see how a few layers of that produced such a realistic effect. The fine cuts and lines really help sell the scale.

clapping bowwing
the89thchris
the89thchris
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 5170
Focus : Complete loose Kenner figures & a few MOC's.

https://www.instagram.com/thechrisporteous/

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:33 am

That's a fantastic bunch of props. Well done.

That's a great way to introduce yourself. clapping

If you're having problems uploading picture. Check out this thread. Just don't use photobucket.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Yavin Honor : 26785
Focus : Canadian Items & cardbacks, loose variants

Back to top Go down

Post by arohk Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:09 am

Welcome to the group neighbour very awesome items. If you are in Victoria you need to check out Cherry Bomb Toys.

One thing they have that is cut up for the same reason you said for everyone to be able to have items. Anyway they have stills from an error real for ESB. I have a few of the pieces.

Larry
arohk
arohk
Outer Rim Ronin

Yavin Honor : 1555
Focus : started on a baggie collection and lil ledy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:18 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Awesome pieces you have Kyle clapping Thankyou for posting pics to show us mate cheers
The Death Star brass is stunning bowwing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] very nice stills Larry rockon
Nico
Nico
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 10144
Focus : Loose variants (Lando)

Back to top Go down

Post by hellhippie Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:46 pm

Shocked awesome stuff Kyle . very nice intro . welcome to the forum . great stuff , very interesting .clapping clapping

Larry - great as always dude cheers cheers cheers

Bespin Busho

Yavin Honor : 5322
Focus : Variants

Back to top Go down

Post by OlderGuyCollects Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:51 pm

Interesting pieces of 35mm, Larry. I also collect some 35mm. What more do you know about the frames you have? The pic doesn't have enough resolution for me to read what's printed on the white strips.
OlderGuyCollects
OlderGuyCollects
Corellia Chugen

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:21 pm

Hey Kyle, for any members interested in collecting items like this where did you manage to acquire some of your pieces mate ? They are not things you see regularly cheers
Forums/Facebook/auctions/friends in the hobby scratch
Very cool items bowwing
Nico
Nico
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 10144
Focus : Loose variants (Lando)

Back to top Go down

Post by OlderGuyCollects Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:03 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] have some items on hand to buy now. They both run auctions with additional items several times a year. Right now Propstore is running an auction with some interesting Star Wars artifacts.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] seems to have mostly Star Wars comic books, posters and sometimes lots of trading cards.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] will sometimes have auctions with high end Star Wars items.

But also just googling around, searching for items.

I'd love to trade with / buy from other collectors.
OlderGuyCollects
OlderGuyCollects
Corellia Chugen

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top