Meet The Pets : Tell Us About Your Four Legged Friends : )

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Meet The Pets : Tell Us About Your Four Legged Friends : ) - Page 3 Empty Re: Meet The Pets : Tell Us About Your Four Legged Friends : )

Post by Dr Dengar Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:38 pm

Thanks for sharing your Dachshund family, Corporate! Very Happy
What a noble thing that you and your wife are taking care about these strong character dogs after they were abandoned by weak character humans.

LOL about Chewie sneaking through the name giving process. Very Happy

@James: Nice Garter Snake, a harmless species, I suppose?

Cheers
Dr Dengar
Dr Dengar
Bespin Busho

Yavin Honor : 4514
Focus : Lili Ledy, PBP, MIB.

Back to top Go down

Meet The Pets : Tell Us About Your Four Legged Friends : ) - Page 3 Empty Re: Meet The Pets : Tell Us About Your Four Legged Friends : )

Post by Nico Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:57 pm

Jeff, thanks for posting pics of your Dachshunds mate clapping
Are they the same type of Dachshund James has scratch
Nico
Nico
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 10144
Focus : Loose variants (Lando)

Back to top Go down

Post by ourchickenshack Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:06 pm

Love your Dachshund's Corporate Slave  yay

It's even cooler that some (if not all) are rescue dogs  bowwing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] -  Tira is a Chocolate Dapple Mini Dachshund ...

[500][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/500]

But we also had Henry and he was a Chocolate Long Hair Dachshund . Henry was regular size , so he was about 2 1/2 times Tira's size ...

It gets so hot here in the summers that we would have our vet shave him at the beginning of summer just to help him be a little less miserable What a Face

Henry was somewhat of a rescue dog - basically he wondered up on our front porch one day and didn't go away lol!

We watched the paper for lost dogs but never saw a add so we just adopted him . He was already full grown so we never knew how old he was but he passed away after we had him for about 6 or 7 years . He was a cuddly hairball Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] -  yes the Garter snake is quite small and harmless - the one I photographed was 7 inches or so long and about the diameter of a pencil Very Happy
ourchickenshack
ourchickenshack
Dagobah Daimyo

Yavin Honor : 27918
Focus : Farceur Mollification

Back to top Go down

Post by arohk Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:04 am

Henry has quite the beard going there he is giving Alex a run for his money lol. All are very cute as well Smile
arohk
arohk
Outer Rim Ronin

Yavin Honor : 1555
Focus : started on a baggie collection and lil ledy

Back to top Go down

Post by CorporateSlave Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:35 pm

Nico wrote:Jeff, thanks for posting pics of your  Dachshunds mate clapping
Are they the same type of Dachshund James has scratch

All four are red, ranging in size from Peanut (a mini, but pushing the limit on size for that) to Winnie, who is pretty much a standard.

We also currently have a true mini we are fostering. Little Watson is a black and tan, although his age has added quite a bit of gray. We foster quite often for Dachshund Rescue South Florida, although Monika really fell in love with Watson, so it is very likely he will stay with us permanently!

CorporateSlave
CorporateSlave
Corellia Chugen

Yavin Honor : 35
Focus : Just the loose.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Dengar Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:01 pm

Henry looks like a friendly dog. Great that he could spend his last years with you guys. Very Happy
Garter snake: harmless species, ok that is good to know.

Cheers
Dr Dengar
Dr Dengar
Bespin Busho

Back to top Go down

Post by CorporateSlave Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:55 pm

Dr Dengar wrote:

I don't know that I would say "harmless" 100%, they can be quite nasty and bite, they just don't have too much in the way of teeth (small and at the back of the mouth) and mild venom, so the bites aren't dangerous to humans or large mammals.  They also tend to run/hide rather than bite, but if cornered I've seen then strike (was bit by a tiny one once).  The venom is more for prey than defense, so they don't usually chew long enough to pass much if any venom during a defensive bite.  There was some slight redness and swelling where the little guy bit me for a few days though.
CorporateSlave
CorporateSlave
Corellia Chugen

Back to top Go down

Post by ourchickenshack Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:10 pm

CorporateSlave wrote:
Dr Dengar wrote:

I don't know that I would say "harmless" 100%, they can be quite nasty and bite, they just don't have too much in the way of teeth (small and at the back of the mouth) and mild venom, so the bites aren't dangerous to humans or large mammals.  They also tend to run/hide rather than bite, but if cornered I've seen then strike (was bit by a tiny one once).  The venom is more for prey than defense, so they don't usually chew long enough to pass much if any venom during a defensive bite.  There was some slight redness and swelling where the little guy bit me for a few days though.

lol!

Any animal can be defensive when it's cornered What a Face

Compared to the actual venomous snakes that can be found here in Oklahoma (rattlesnake , cotton mouths etc) I consider them harmless and leave them to wonder freely in my gardens Very Happy

I know there are quite a few species of Garter Snakes (and some are probably more aggressive then others) but the only ones I ever see in my yard are the little grey ones . They are elusive and always scurry away when I turn over a rock (or whatever) and uncover them .
ourchickenshack
ourchickenshack
Dagobah Daimyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:51 pm

I'd never heard of a cottonmouth  scratch I looked it up and it's a type of pit viper, glad we don't get them in the UK What a Face
Nico
Nico
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by ourchickenshack Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:57 am

lol!

[300][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/300]
ourchickenshack
ourchickenshack
Dagobah Daimyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Dengar Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:11 pm

Ok Jeff, thanks for the info. I will be carefull when I see a Garter snake one day.

James, rattlesnakes in Oklahoma. Have you ever seen one in real life?
Dr Dengar
Dr Dengar
Bespin Busho

Back to top Go down

Post by CorporateSlave Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:52 pm

Dr Dengar wrote:Ok Jeff, thanks for the info. I will be carefull when I see a Garter snake one day.

James, rattlesnakes in Oklahoma. Have you ever seen one in real life?

Well, James is right, they are indeed just as the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy labels Earth: "Mostly Harmless."  As he says, fine to ignore if seen in the garden (they will even take care of small pests for you!)

We had to chop a Cottonmouth in half with a shovel near our pond in Florida, they get real aggressive around here. With all the small dogs not a good idea to take chances...although it was bowing up to strike at the time anyway.
CorporateSlave
CorporateSlave
Corellia Chugen

Back to top Go down

Post by ourchickenshack Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:42 am

Dr Dengar wrote:James, rattlesnakes in Oklahoma. Have you ever seen one in real life?

Not on any of our properties thankfully but I have seen them while hiking nature trails with my dad when I was younger and a couple time while fishing What a Face

I just give them plenty of space and avoid them . Like Jeff , if I saw one on my property though , (as much as I would hate to) I would probably have to kill it just to keep my pets , wife and the neighbors safe .

There is actually a annual "Rattlesnake Roundup" here in Oklahoma (which I highly disapprove of) - basically a bunch of redneck idiots venture out in the countryside where the snakes tend to live and catch them for a great big slaughter fest Evil or Very Mad

These aren't my pets but I thought the pics were nice quality ...

[600][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/600]
ourchickenshack
ourchickenshack
Dagobah Daimyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Dengar Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:31 am

Here in The Netherlands I can't think of any dangerous animal. No toxic snakes, no sharks, no bears. However wolves are slowly coming back from being extinct. Last year a young male crossed the border with Germany. Would be cool to havev a population of wolves back in our country.

Rattlesnake Roundup: Terrible, some people just have no respect for nature. Sad

Funny pictures, James. Very Happy
Dr Dengar
Dr Dengar
Bespin Busho

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:13 pm

Henry has the look of a very faithful dog James, the way he's looking at the picture taker Very Happy

The snakes are basicly doing there own thing and if given a wide berth will not bother you, from what I understand it's people standing on or getting too close accidently where the snake feels threatened and it defends itself. Totally understand what your saying about the pets thou, an inquisitive dog will run over to sniff or want to play with the snake and most likely get bitten. Not worth the risk. Magnificent creatures thou cheers
Nico
Nico
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by ourchickenshack Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:27 pm

Here's a couple nice pics I found but the dogs aren't mine ...

[400][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/400]

[300][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/300]
ourchickenshack
ourchickenshack
Dagobah Daimyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Dengar Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:33 pm

"The great ship...Galactica. Majestic and loving...strong and protecting. Our home for these many years we've endured the wilderness of space...and now we near the end of our journey. Scouts and electronic surveilance have confirmed that we've reached our haven...that planet which is home to our ancestor brothers. Too many of our sons and daughters did not survive to share the fulfilment of our dream. We can only take comfort and strength in that they did not die in vain.
We have at last found...Ear....Erghhh....Wait a minute...WTF!??"

[800][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[/800]

(Tygo joining me while sorting out the Titanium SW and Galactica vehicles. Smile )
Dr Dengar
Dr Dengar
Bespin Busho

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:16 pm

Terror Tygo keeping an eye on things Marco cheers
Nico
Nico
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by ourchickenshack Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:26 pm

I'm not normally one for cat videos or memes but this one cracked my wife and I up lol!
ourchickenshack
ourchickenshack
Dagobah Daimyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:53 pm

lol! lol! lol! That was good cheers
Nico
Nico
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by ourchickenshack Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:41 pm

I have seen a lot more Garter Snakes then ever this year in our gardens and yards so we must have a pretty healthy population Very Happy

I saw this little fella trying to scurry away a couple days ago when I was mowing ...

Isn't he cute What a Face

I would say he was only 4 inches long cyclops
ourchickenshack
ourchickenshack
Dagobah Daimyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:45 pm

Very cool little snake James cheers How big do that species grow mate scratch
Nico
Nico
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by ourchickenshack Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:02 pm

Thanks Andy cheers

There are actually quite a few different species of Garter Snakes and some may get a bit larger but , the grey ones I see in my gardens only average 2 feet at max size .
ourchickenshack
ourchickenshack
Dagobah Daimyo

Back to top Go down

Post by cantina_patron Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:05 pm

Cool find James, that one is clearly newly born. As garter snakes are ovoviviparous, so there is a good chance you will find several others. Very Happy
cantina_patron
cantina_patron
Bespin Busho

Yavin Honor : 5600
Focus : Cardbacks, loose variants, Lili Ledy

Back to top Go down

Post by chris.75 Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:41 pm

wow, cool find james cheers
That baby Garter Snake kinda reminds me of the slow worms that we have a lot of her in Cornwall (I Know, I know, a slow worm is a lizard not a snake, But it still reminds of one nanny)
chris.75
chris.75
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 9996
Focus : Darth Vader, as well as Kenner, PBP, Poch, LL, GL and other lines, basically everything vintage sw I can get my hands on!!

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top