I WANT IT ALL AND I WANT IT NOW! - Part I - Is This The Future Of Collecting?

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I WANT IT ALL AND I WANT IT NOW! - Part I - Is This The Future Of Collecting? Empty I WANT IT ALL AND I WANT IT NOW! - Part I - Is This The Future Of Collecting?

Post by General Kahn Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:23 pm

I WANT IT ALL AND I WANT IT NOW! - Part I - Is This The Future Of Collecting?

Breaking News!!!!!
- Rebellion crushed! Rising price of weapons leaves the rebels unarmed!

A spokes person for the Rebellion said......
- "The second our finance department said that we could now only afford to buy weapons from the Ewoks..... We knew we where fucked!"

[700][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/700]

The bank holiday weekend brought about an interesting yet somewhat unsettling sale on a Facebook auction site, this was the sale of a Luke Stormtrooper solid black blaster which clocked in at an insane £115!!!!! This followed a previous sale for £105.

The current rise in price on vintage Star Wars appears to have reached a new level of insane! What made this sale interesting for me was the fact that I own two solid black blasters.....

The one on the left is a Lili Ledy solid black blaster,the one on the right is a Kenner Luke Stormtrooper solid black blaster, the interesting point is that I paid exactly £115 for the pair. To me this shows just how insane the price rise has become, not only in the sense that I got two for the same price as someone paid for one, but the fact that my two also came with some extras......

Those extras where a Lili Ledy Boba Fett and a mint Luke Stormtrooper. It just seems crazy Crying or Very sad

I wrote a post to a facebook thread about insane prices written by Christian a while back which sums up my thoughts on what i believe is one of the key factors to the huge price hike that has dominated the hobby over the last couple of years......

Alex Magraw wrote:Totally insane Sad It's why I struggle to collect these days.
I appreciate that prices do rise and that there are high and lows in the market usually brought on by certain things like the release of a new movie etc. etc.
But to me, the reason around this current ridiculous rise in price can be summed up in one word... Impatience
You speak to any of the old school long time collectors and they pretty much tell a similar tale, got back into collecting after my childhood years, started with a full Kenner run with the handful of listed variants, then discovered the reality of variants and went down that path, then realised the world of foreign variants and went down that path and then discovered bootlegs etc.
That's pretty much how it was.
Today though it seems to run in the opposite direction. People who start collecting now have in many respects started late in the game and it seems to push them into a hurry, fuelled by the show boat society of social media. No one wants a Kenner run any more, or Kenner variants, they just want a Burgundy Cape Bib and a full Ledy run, something with 'wow' factor that will get a 100 'like'
Ignorance also plays a huge factor, buying figures with no idea of why they are what they are? No interest in the research element of the hobby and the contribution to it, Just a "I have this cool figure what else matters" kind of attitude Sad
I have seen people post pics of truly rare figures saying, "just bought this, any info"
Seriously??? I have 500+ figures in my collection and I can tell you a lot about pretty much all of them, where they were made, which factory, what cards etc. etc.
I'm not saying you have to know this shit, but to me the very word 'hobby' means you are interested in that particular subject and there fore you should want to know these things. Football fans tend to know the off side rule and a basic history of the team they support, because it's a passion, this is no different but it seems to have lost that.
And no, all the work hasn't been done! which is an easy excuse, I can only think of only a handful of figures that have a very well documented history through focus collectors, there are many more figures to study!!!
It's a shame, but it is what it is :/

What are your thoughts on this subject folks? Would you pay that for a weapon that isn't rare?

Last edited by General Kahn on Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sullust Samurai

Yavin Honor : 3066
Focus : Luke Bespin

Back to top Go down

I WANT IT ALL AND I WANT IT NOW! - Part I - Is This The Future Of Collecting? Empty Re: I WANT IT ALL AND I WANT IT NOW! - Part I - Is This The Future Of Collecting?

Post by Commander Clint Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:48 pm

I'm completely turned off by the prices of regular common figures lately. I've turned to collecting odd ball items & cardbacks. Even cardbacks are starting to get out of hand.
Then add in currency exchange and most stuff is completely out of my budget range. £115 x 0.58 currancy exchange = approx $198 Canadian affraid
There is no way I would pay that kind of money for a blaster. These fucktards need their heads examined. Evil or Very Mad
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Yavin Honor : 26800
Focus : Canadian Items & cardbacks, loose variants

Back to top Go down

I WANT IT ALL AND I WANT IT NOW! - Part I - Is This The Future Of Collecting? Empty Re: I WANT IT ALL AND I WANT IT NOW! - Part I - Is This The Future Of Collecting?

Post by Sturm86 Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:50 pm

I've noticed a few times weapons selling for higher prices than figures...
Sadly I think this will have for effect to make the market of reproduction accessories and weapons grow.

Sturm86
Sturm86
Sullust Samurai

Yavin Honor : 1559
Focus : Tie Fighter & Tie Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by hellhippie Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:56 pm

the whole hobby has definitely been overrun with lunatics . I think I got my luke stormie for 55 American .. granted that was 25 years ago but these prices are just nuts .. as are the new collectors inflating prices .
assholes

Bespin Busho

Yavin Honor : 5322
Focus : Variants

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:11 am

That is a crazy price affraid Sadly if some people are prepared to pay these insane prices then some sellers will keep asking these prices No
Nico
Nico
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 10144
Focus : Loose variants (Lando)

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristianC Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:56 pm

This is crazy Alex. I've barely bought anything for a year because of the incredibly high market. But like I said in the article, it is really up to the buyers to dictate to the sellers what we think the market should be.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I had a lot of reactions to the post, both in the comments and on FB.
ChristianC
ChristianC
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 6848
Focus : Luke Skywalker (all outfits) - MOC, loose variants and bootlegs

http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chris.75 Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:14 pm

Yeah I couldn't agree more, prices have gone stupid crazy in the last 18 months or so.
Take, for example, a nice , minty, complete Leia organa figure. A year or two ago average price would be around £25. Now prices easily exceed £50 - £55!
Same with Luke Farmboy. I know that due to discolouration these white figures are harder to come by. But these are still by no means rare figures, so should not be demanding such a high premium.

I can't remember the last time I bought a figure on eBay. Some bargains can be had on the Facebook group, but most are either beaters or incomplete.
These days I only tend to deal with friends, which is actually the way I like it :-)
Although the stupid hike in prices has really put the brakes on my coo and mould family, variant collecting.
chris.75
chris.75
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 10011
Focus : Darth Vader, as well as Kenner, PBP, Poch, LL, GL and other lines, basically everything vintage sw I can get my hands on!!

Back to top Go down

Post by cantina_patron Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:23 pm

I haven't understood these new 'I've got deep pockets, little patience' collectors for a long time. In general, most appear to have little to no genuine interest or passion for the hobby. They just appear to follow what is 'popular' & want to make waves within the community. Those of us that have collected for many years will always be able to judge / hold out for fair market prices on pieces we want. I dare say that as quickly as these impatient collectors arrive, we will see them drop out of the hobby & sell their collections for a loss, to the advantage of those of us in for the long haul! Very Happy
cantina_patron
cantina_patron
Bespin Busho

Yavin Honor : 5600
Focus : Cardbacks, loose variants, Lili Ledy

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristianC Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:52 am

cantina_patron wrote: I dare say that as quickly as these impatient collectors arrive, we will see them drop out of the hobby & sell their collections for a loss, to the advantage of those of us in for the long haul! Very Happy

Good point Steve. I've only been collecting three and a half years but I've already seen a massive amount of collectors come into the hobby, buy up big, and the sell it all within a couple of years when they get bored.

I haven't bought much this past year (because of crazy prices) but I still love every single figure I own Smile
ChristianC
ChristianC
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by Akial Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:01 am

THX Alex, this speaks truely from my heart. There is a big difference between buying and collecting. For some people it seems to be quite cool to show what they can afford (that actually makes Prices rising). But collecting is for most of us much more... It means Research, connecting with other collectors, building a focus etc. For me it is much more satisfying to achieve a searched after figure after a long quest, than to buy all the stuff at one sunday night on ebay for thousands of Dollars.
Akial
Akial
Yavin Yari

Yavin Honor : 745
Focus : loose variants, customizing, cardboard playsets, Ugnaught

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian_C Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:54 pm

I have to admit, I have two sides to my collecting.

There's my own collection, mostly complete at this point.

However, due to personal circumstances, the hobby is providing me a means to not only afford some pieces for my own collection (rarely), but it helps me afford birthday/Christmas gifts for the kids (in truth most of it goes to them). Because of that, I will buy lots off ebay and flip them, so I do often ask some of the crazier prices. I very often end up letting them go much cheaper, often at my own suggestion. I do make it a point though not to troll FB pages and scan for collectors selling items below cost like some do, and NEVER negotiate a lower sale price if the intention is to flip. That is extremely poor ethics. I stick mostly to auction style, to keep it as fair as possible.

I am at a loss though to understand how even the impatient ones will pay so much for certain items like the Luke blasters, pop-up R2, etc.

Ian
Ian_C
Ian_C
Sullust Samurai

Yavin Honor : 2361
Focus : Kenner Production

https://www.tantivexi.com

Back to top Go down

Post by poncho Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:47 pm

i blame facebook.

if you filter out the shit ebay is still the best place globally to find weapons and hidden gems!

patience is key

on the subject of luke stormies. i have 2 of these lukes of which are paired with a original stormtrooper blasters! i dont give a rats what colour the blaster is aslong as its original.

poncho
poncho
Sullust Samurai

Yavin Honor : 1951

Back to top Go down

Post by Section 8 Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:30 pm

Unless I'm mistaken Luke Stormies didn't always come with a black blaster anyway so your blue/black blaster pairing is totally legitimate.

What is happening is a total shame for the hobby. A fucking naked jawa sold for £91 on FB just the other day. st00pid
Section 8
Section 8
Corellia Chugen

Yavin Honor : 77
Focus : Rebuying childhood items.

Back to top Go down

Post by arohk Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:23 am

Holy fuck batman time to sell sell sell daddy needs a tie helmet lol. I have noticed the prices are going insane mainly for weapons. Like Alex was saying black blasters were pretty reasonable and he might remember the one i got with the Gi Joe stuff I had sent to him. It cost me like 50 Canadian for the whole lot of star wars weapons I believe there were like 6 and a bunch of Gi Joe stuff now I would be lucky to get a beater fig for that.

I mean don't get me wrong ifsomeone wants to go on a bidding war for some weapons I won't argue but no I am not going to sell weapons for stupid prices either.

And Chris didn't forget you bud just been stupid busy sent you a pm already and will get your stuff to you asap.
arohk
arohk
Outer Rim Ronin

Yavin Honor : 1555
Focus : started on a baggie collection and lil ledy

Back to top Go down

Post by grinchy Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:53 pm

I haven't bought much this year vintage wise, prices are just getting nuts, makes the mind boggle some of the prices that even beaters are going for, in this situation i'm glad I also collect modern, theres still bargains to be had there
grinchy
grinchy
Bespin Busho

Yavin Honor : 5958

Back to top Go down

Post by Chancellor_Peter Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:01 am

Sturm86 wrote:I've noticed a few times weapons selling for higher prices than figures...
Sadly I think this will have for effect to make the market of reproduction accessories and weapons grow.

Sturm86 fully agreed with your observations. What could be much WORSE if reproduction accessories and weapons were passed off and SOLD at the high prices of the Originals. angryfire banghead2 fun

Last edited by Chancellor_Peter on Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Chancellor_Peter
Chancellor_Peter
Outer Rim Ronin

Yavin Honor : 524
Location : Somewhere out there in the Outer Rim Territories....
Focus : Mint In Box Vehicles, Playsets, Display Stands, Loose & Complete figures and Variants, 1985 POTF Coins and TESB MOC figures

Back to top Go down

Post by Sturm86 Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:26 am

I fear the worst is yet to come, once 3D printers will be cheaper and largely accessible.
Sturm86
Sturm86
Sullust Samurai

Yavin Honor : 1559
Focus : Tie Fighter & Tie Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Chancellor_Peter Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:30 am

Sturm86 wrote:I fear the worst is yet to come, once 3D printers will be cheaper and largely accessible.

..this has already started with printing 1:1 scale Blaster prop parts, and very soon we will be seeing "Vintage" Star Wars figures and weapons created by 3-D printers. jaw
Chancellor_Peter
Chancellor_Peter
Outer Rim Ronin

Yavin Honor : 524
Location : Somewhere out there in the Outer Rim Territories....
Focus : Mint In Box Vehicles, Playsets, Display Stands, Loose & Complete figures and Variants, 1985 POTF Coins and TESB MOC figures

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristianC Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:37 am

A Luke Stormy black blaster (without the fig) just sold for 90 GBP on the Jabba UK Auction FB group. Not the seller's fault as it was an auction but geez what the fuck is going on????
ChristianC
ChristianC
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by General Kahn Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:30 pm

It is insanity, not because it's such a stupid price to pay but because they where produced in considerable numbers.... 1, for the HUGE U.S. market on the POTF card and 2, for the European market, most of which also came with the black blaster (because they came from the same factory)

No POTF figure is rare, not even Yak Face.... everyone knows this, one simple ebay search will bring up countless Yak Faces every day of the year.... that's not rare, how ever, Yak Face was produced in much smaller number than Luke Stormtrooper, so he definiately isn't rare! And 99% of those came with a black blaster..... Oh and lets not forget Kez Iban from the Droids line. There are literally countless thousands out there.

I am a very budgeted man, so I can't afford to be this completely fucking stupid lavish with cash, but even if I had shit loads of cash I still wouldn't, largely because I'm not completely fucking stupid and understand the fact that there are so many in existance that time and patience will bring one my way eventually for a totally bargain price.

Logic is something else missing from the mind of the 'modern' collector, I bet there aren't many that collect Star Trek stuff cheeky

Sullust Samurai

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:10 pm

Alex, we're seeing the same stupidity with the stripped 3PO & DSD droids.  I saw a droid last week go for $160ish CND.  It had some cool green colours, but it's still a $2 - $3 figure.  I just don't get some of these collectors.  Like you, I'm on a budget.  But there is no freaking way I'd pay that kind of money for anything.  Just be patient. Cool
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by General Kahn Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:22 pm

If anything Clint that is even more ridiculous because you could simply spend $160 on countless beater 3PO's and DSD's and then strip them yourself which also incorporates the fun of seeing what's underneath.... admitidally it's likely visible on beaters but still...

At least paying stupid money for a real gun is better than spending it on stripped figures I guess, but it's still all totally stupid in the long run.

If there is one good thing that has come out of this crazy price thing..... At least I know I have 500+ figures which I paid very little for that I now know are worth considerably more than I paid.

Grey Limbs Snowtrooper craze has started again on Facebook..... time to cash in on your discoloured figures guys :/

Sullust Samurai

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:28 pm

Maybe we will see the craze start for custom figures.  Then we can cash in. cheeky
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by the89thchris Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:06 pm

I think I'm somewhere in the middle of what you're describing. I've probly spent about $2500 CAD in a year, but I am focusing on a. loose Kenner run primarily. I've only got 4 mocs and the most expensive was a $400 CAD 3po 12-back which I only got cuz the price was so low due to a creased card. That being said, I've collected POTF2 Mocs since I was 6 or 7, blissfully unaware of their lack of value lol
the89thchris
the89thchris
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 5170
Focus : Complete loose Kenner figures & a few MOC's.

https://www.instagram.com/thechrisporteous/

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristianC Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:50 pm

Luke Jedi moulded face selling on FB for 125 bucks. Fuck me...
ChristianC
ChristianC
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top