pbp smell but its kenner?? leia hoth mixed parts??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

pbp smell but its kenner?? leia hoth mixed parts?? Empty pbp smell but its kenner?? leia hoth mixed parts??

Post by poncho Tue May 23, 2017 2:18 pm

i have a kenner leia hoth

the boys on the galaxycorp fb group tell me its kenner and not pbp.

the only reason i queried it is because the torso smell like all my pbp figures.

im thinking pbp exported there over stock of parts to palitoy etc etc and this a hybrid mixed parts pbp/palitoy figure

thoughts

Last edited by poncho on Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
poncho
poncho
Sullust Samurai

Yavin Honor : 1951

Back to top Go down

pbp smell but its kenner?? leia hoth mixed parts?? Empty Re: pbp smell but its kenner?? leia hoth mixed parts??

Post by Commander Clint Tue May 23, 2017 3:42 pm

I'll have to check Javi's book to see if there is any information about exported figures. I'll check after work.
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Yavin Honor : 26785
Focus : Canadian Items & cardbacks, loose variants

Back to top Go down

pbp smell but its kenner?? leia hoth mixed parts?? Empty Re: pbp smell but its kenner?? leia hoth mixed parts??

Post by hellhippie Tue May 23, 2017 9:12 pm

never heard of this . pretty cool though dude . anyways I don't see what else would explain it except a swapping of parts . ive studied Javis book and don't recall hearing of it but im sure its possible that pbp exported parts , I mean why not ?

Bespin Busho

Yavin Honor : 5322
Focus : Variants

Back to top Go down

Post by poncho Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:15 pm

ha ha i have proof now! that it is a spanish torso :-)....i think
poncho
poncho
Sullust Samurai

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:24 pm

poncho wrote:ha ha i have proof now! that it is a spanish torso :-)....i think
What is the COO stamp ? (just curious What a Face ) Any pics Chris Very Happy
Nico
Nico
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 10144
Focus : Loose variants (Lando)

Back to top Go down

Post by hellhippie Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:37 pm

Im curious as well

Bespin Busho

Back to top Go down

Post by poncho Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:05 pm

here is javis book talking about the 3line spanish leia hoth with its translucent pale orange torso vs the kenner slightly more intense pale orange torso. spanish is on the left

[400][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/400]
poncho
poncho
Sullust Samurai

Back to top Go down

Post by poncho Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:15 pm

here is my 4 line coo leia hoth with a torso that smells like pbp plastic and i think is spanish pictured left . next to it is another 4 line coo leia hoth, you will notice the slight colour difference in torso and on the left i believe is translucent pale orange belonging to pbp.

poncho
poncho
Sullust Samurai

Back to top Go down

Post by poncho Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:30 pm

here is a more damning evidence maybe.

a UV shot clearly showing a different plastic being used. my nostrills were not lying to me  the left i believe is a pbp translucent pale orange torso.

this could all be bollocks buts its interesting lol!

poncho
poncho
Sullust Samurai

Back to top Go down

Post by poncho Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:31 pm

thoughts boys?
poncho
poncho
Sullust Samurai

Back to top Go down

Post by hellhippie Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:30 am

Hmmm maybe its the photos dude but the boots look orange on my screen

Bespin Busho

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:01 am

Thanks for posting pics up Chris  cheers
[500][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/500]
The Leia on the left could have faded slightly over time, that could account for the color difference but not the PBP smell to the torso  scratch
I'm not too familiar with UV lights and exactly what that shows but it's very interesting mate, let's see what he other guys think  popcorn  
Nico
Nico
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by poncho Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:26 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

the UV shows and glows certain plastics/material.  you will notice one has a different glow this is because its a different plastic being used

here are 2 examples from confirmed No COO scarred PBP figures from my collection vs Kenner

the pbp Dengar LEFT torso glows a brighter white on the left as opposed to the kenner on the right
the pbp LXW LEFT torso also glows more than the Kenner example

the leia hoth also glows more than its kenner partner.

so can you see where i am coming from! Very Happy

[300][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/300]
poncho
poncho
Sullust Samurai

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:36 pm

poncho wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
so can you see where i am coming from! Very Happy
Got it Chris cheers Cheers bro, I love a vintage mystery mate Very Happy
Nico
Nico
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by poncho Mon May 14, 2018 4:17 pm

bump
poncho
poncho
Sullust Samurai

Back to top Go down

Post by poncho Mon May 14, 2018 4:18 pm

can someone get dr dengar (marco??) do view this thread
poncho
poncho
Sullust Samurai

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Mon May 14, 2018 4:26 pm

poncho wrote:can someone get dr dengar (marco??) do view this thread

I'll send him a message.
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Yavin Honor : 26785
Focus : Canadian Items & cardbacks, loose variants

Back to top Go down

Post by poncho Mon May 14, 2018 4:56 pm

cheers clint
poncho
poncho
Sullust Samurai

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Dengar Mon May 21, 2018 2:28 pm

Hey Chris,

The PBP smell is very distinct for the type of plastic used in the PBP factory. Probably it is not the plastic itself that smells, but some volatile additive to increase the flexibility of the plastic (plasticizer).
PBP produced a Leia Hoth in the early era (Poch era). This figure was composed of imported plastic parts from factories in Asia, which were painted and subsequently welded in Spain. Two different variants exists for this figure. From the pic, it seems there is no match with any of the two Poch variants.  

Check out this older post on TIG to see the two Poch (early PBP) variants (scroll down a bit):

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PBP started their own plastic injection a bit later (PBP era), giving rise to a line of detailed plastic figures with that distinct PBP smell.
There was Luke Hoth, Rebel Soldier, Han Hoth, however Leia Hoth was not released in the PBP era.

So what explains the PBP smell of your figure?
I don't have a sound explanation to be honest.

Just thinking out loudly there are a few possibilities:
1) The Asian factories also used plastic with the same addiitive at some point for certain batches. Resulting in a Kenner Leia with PBP smell. There are hard torso CCP figures for instance which are Kenner. I don't know whether these have a PBP smell though.
2) Your figure was stored with PBP figures for a while. The plasticizer desorbed from the PBP figures and then absorbed into the plastic of the Kenner figure after a while.
3) Other possiblity?

By all means you made an interesting observation. And I hope we can get till the bottom of this mystery figure.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Cheers
Marco
Dr Dengar
Dr Dengar
Bespin Busho

Yavin Honor : 4514
Focus : Lili Ledy, PBP, MIB.

Back to top Go down

Post by JaviSWSpain Mon May 21, 2018 3:14 pm

It seems unlikely that PBP ever made a late PBP Leia Hoth, I mean with hard torso and limbs and scarred out CoO.
Furthermore, By the look of that plastic used on your figure, it doesn't looks hard plastic/ highly detailed (with strong smell) to me, I am sorry to say.
About that theory of exportation of "just" the torso parts, I would say it is unlikely too. It is well known that PBP exported finished figures to the Palitoy and others factories, where the figures were just packaged on the cards. As far it is known the Palitoy factory never painted or assambled figure's parts, they just imported finished figures to be packaged.
And last but not least, that figure looks totally a common Kenner figure.
It is weird thou, that you can smell the so called PBP smell on a soft torso, however, many people claim that theirs Early PBP figures has a strong smell too, which btw I have never been able to detect on any of my Early PBP( so called Poch) figures...
JaviSWSpain
JaviSWSpain
Yavin Yari

Yavin Honor : 125

Back to top Go down

Post by poncho Mon May 21, 2018 3:47 pm

thanks for the great comments and contributions marco and javi ive been wanting you guys to chime in on this thread for a while thanks for looking at my leia :-)
poncho
poncho
Sullust Samurai

Back to top Go down

Post by hellhippie Mon May 21, 2018 7:28 pm

Its always good to get confirmation from the most knowledgeable collectors out there . I take their words as fact.

Bespin Busho

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top