Does the countries population in 1978 have any indication of difficulty to find?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Does the countries population in 1978 have any indication of difficulty to find? Empty Does the countries population in 1978 have any indication of difficulty to find?

Post by Commander Clint Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:30 pm

Does the countries population in 1978 have any indication of difficulty to find?  Thoughts?

Country Populations in 1978

United States - 222.6 million (Kenner)
Japan - 114.9 million (Takara (Star Wars), Popy (ESB), and Tsukuda (ROTJ))
Germany - 78.09 million
Mexico - 66.04 million (Lili Ledy)
United Kingdom - 56.2 million (Palitoy)
France - 54.95 million
Spain - 37.06 million (Poch/PBP)
Canada - 24.04 million (Kenner Canada)
Australia - 14.36 million (Toltoys)
New Zealand - 3.12 million (Toltoys)

Last edited by Commander Clint on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Yavin Honor : 26800
Focus : Canadian Items & cardbacks, loose variants

Back to top Go down

Does the countries population in 1978 have any indication of difficulty to find? Empty Re: Does the countries population in 1978 have any indication of difficulty to find?

Post by cantina_patron Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:17 pm

Interesting question Clint. I have some initial ideas, but need to give them more thought.
cantina_patron
cantina_patron
Bespin Busho

Yavin Honor : 5600
Focus : Cardbacks, loose variants, Lili Ledy

Back to top Go down

Does the countries population in 1978 have any indication of difficulty to find? Empty Re: Does the countries population in 1978 have any indication of difficulty to find?

Post by Commander Clint Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:22 pm

I was just wondering if production volumes where linked to that particular countries population at the time?  I know Lili Ledy was late to the party, so they would have a limited run.

As a cardback collector, I know Toltoys cardbacks command a premium price, and I assumed it was because of the production volume, based on the populations.  If that's the case, why do Palitoy & Poch/PBP command premium prices over Kenner Canada cards of the same era?
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:06 pm

Interesting point Clint, I would think previous years sales of action figures and similar toys from other lines data would be analysed also scratch
Nico
Nico
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 10144
Focus : Loose variants (Lando)

Back to top Go down

Post by cantina_patron Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:21 pm

I agree to a degree Clint. IMO, the reason USA Kenner cards are so abundant is due to the fact that apart from supplying the large US market, they were also distributed outside of the states e.g. to the UK which may have surpressed the demand for domestic cardbacks in those countries.?  I would imagine that with Toltoys & early Poch, they were only available at major cities & towns, hence there relative scarcity compared to the overall population. I recently watched a Poch carback sell for just short of £900.00. I dread to think what it would have made moc. Do any other used cardbacks command that sort of price?
Different nations may have also had varying attitudes to keeping cardbacks. A lot of  Kenner and Palitoy cards had promotional offers which would encourage kids to hang on to them.
cantina_patron
cantina_patron
Bespin Busho

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:35 pm

Ouch. That's nearly $1600 CND. affraid

The Canadian cards had promotions as well. I know that I sent away for 4-LOM, Nien Nunb & a Survival Kit. That's probably why I kept all my cardbacks. What a Face
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by cantina_patron Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:44 pm

Commander Clint wrote:Ouch.  That's nearly $1600 CND. affraid

Yeah, that's serious money. The same seller had a very nice PBP 65 back Stormie that I was following, even that sold for just shy of £600.00. st00pid So I don't expect to add one to my focus any time soon (if ever)!
cantina_patron
cantina_patron
Bespin Busho

Back to top Go down

Post by richard_h Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:23 pm

I think generally you may be right but then something like France causes a problem. I'm not sure the population of France but I believe (don't shoot me) that toys were mainly sold in the cities. France's population base is spread out with a lot of countryside so not sure that population can always = product. I guess major retailers would be more of a hypothesis to test.
richard_h
richard_h
Yavin Yari

Yavin Honor : 783
Focus : Loose and R5D4 items

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:41 pm

France - 54.95 million
Germany - 78.09 million

I agree with what Steve and Richard are saying about the toys being sold in the major cities & towns.  I don't remember seeing the toys locally as a child, till ESB & Jedi.  But my mother tells me, that she never had any worries about letting me run in the local cities department stores.  Because she would always be able to find me looking at all the SW toys. lol!

Did the European countries have something similar to the "Sears" catalog, and the ability to mail order stuff? This would be the main source for rural Canada.
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by the89thchris Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:52 pm

Another reason Palitoy cardbacks might be more expensive than Kenner Canada /Irwin examples could be that the Canadian ones just say “Kenner” in the front compared to the far more exotic Palitoy logo on the SW cards (probably far more appealing to US collectors) lol and also there are probably more collectors for Palitoy due to the population difference. There’s some uneducated speculation. rofl
the89thchris
the89thchris
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 5170
Focus : Complete loose Kenner figures & a few MOC's.

https://www.instagram.com/thechrisporteous/

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top