The Vintage Rebellion Podcast 2016 and beyond

Page 11 of 23 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17 ... 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Vintage Rebellion Podcast 2016 and beyond - Page 11 Empty Re: The Vintage Rebellion Podcast 2016 and beyond

Post by Commander Clint Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:19 pm

Jez wrote:Working on the next episode now. Will be recording next week for release at the usual time Smile

Cheers peeps.

I better get the review for the last episode done. What a Face
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Yavin Honor : 26790
Focus : Canadian Items & cardbacks, loose variants

Back to top Go down

The Vintage Rebellion Podcast 2016 and beyond - Page 11 Empty Re: The Vintage Rebellion Podcast 2016 and beyond

Post by Commander Clint Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:07 am

Episode 39 review

It was great to have Simon McOwan join the boys as a full time host.  He did a great job on the last episode.  Congrats. cheers

The guest host is Andy Goulding.  A prop collector & a Hoth Rebel Soldier focus collector.  It was a pleasure listening to Andy.  Well done. clapping

Stuart’s interview with Derek Ho, was simply fantastic.  They talked about some of the vintage Star Wars items that were available to Singapore.  After listening to this great interview, I wish that I had made a greater effort to visit the Singapore collectors table at C8.  I also missed the collectors panel that Derek was a part of.

As part of Jez’s, newest acquisitions.  The boys discuss a beater Kea Moll, posted by our very own the89thchris.  The VR crew were surprised to see a beater Ewoks & Droid figure.  I think this one must have been played with by an over zealous Canadian child. cheeky

Because I didn’t start collecting till the mid to late 2000’s, I’ve only known the original Luke, as Luke Farmboy.  I actually like the name.

Board Games, Board Games, who doesn’t love a board game.  I love a good board game.  When I found my childhood figures, cardbacks, trading cards, etc.., in 2005, the Canadian version of Escape Death Star board game was among the find.  I don’t remember playing it as a child, but I must have had it.  It’s nearly complete, including the instructions.  On the instructions, it has a Parker Brother address of “P.O. Box 600, Concord, Ontario, L4K 1B7.  I can only assume that Parker Brother had a manufacturing plant near by.  Concord is now part of northern Toronto.  The Canadian edition has the Parker logo.  If you look closely at the US version (James “ourchickenshack” brought this to my attention a year ago) has the Kenner logo, but is labeled “Made in Canada”.  Does this mean that the both the Canadian & US version come from the same manufacturing plant?

[600][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/600]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The crew gives us an update on “Baggie Gate”.  Even though they say that it’s coming to an end.  It still sounds like the whole situation is a bit F.U.B.A.R..  I really hope that any of the collectors with issues with their purchases, will still get a refund.

I really, really enjoyed Grant’s Pt. 2 interview with Jonathan McElwain about the food premiums & food packaging.  As I said in the previous review, This was one of his best interview yet about some of my favourite items.

- Canadian Coca Cola bottle caps & store posters.  I did know the Leia cap was the hardest to find.  I’m still on a hunt for one, for my collection.  What I didn’t know, is there’s a generic cap with the Millennium Falcon on it.  I will have to add it to the list too track down.
As required by Canadian law, a prize just can’t be given away.  There has to be a skill testing question or task to claim the prize.  This remains still today.

[700][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/700]

I would love to know more about the Winnipeg, Manitoba franchise “Groovies” and the food premium that they handed out.  I did a quick google search, but didn’t find anything.

The Mexican & Japanese bottle caps are something that I always wanted to get into, but never did & know very little about.  This was a fantastic part of the interview.

They touched briefly on the Cobot.  We have our own thread on this fascinating unlicensed item, if you would like to know more.

I want to thank Grant for a fantastic 3 years of gimcrack interviews.  Thanks you my friend.  You will be missed. Sad

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

A surprise announcement that Pete is returning to the VR crew.  It’s good to have you back. cheers
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Jez Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:11 am

What a fantastic review of Episode 39, thank you.

Apologies it a few days late but hopefully you'll agree with us that our very latest Episode 40 has been worth the wait!

EPISODE 40 OUT TODAY!
On this month's Vintage Rebellion Podcast, the team are joined by Shawn Moynihan for the main interview. Shawn discusses a whole plethora of topics, including his love for The Holiday Special, putting marbles up astromechs bottoms and how he actually broke his jaw several years ago.

Rich has the pleasure of talking to the best looking collector, if not in the Galaxy then certainly in the Southern Hemisphere on the latest updates of the reproduction blasters, whilst the team thrash out a lively debate on those collecting blues, which are rippling across the collecting circles with some great advice for those affected.

In this episodes packed New Acquisitions (NA) section, the team discuss a veritable banquet of vintage gorgeousness. Too much to cover here in detail but the items include; Bargain carded figures, Meccano cardbacks, German drinking glasses, 12" Palitoy Fett, awesome Trilogo carded figures, a run of Model Trem Darth Vader variants and more fantastic items. Jez is joined by 4 guests; Justin Lea gives us a great update on his Diecast Landspeeder collection, Iain Sanderson and an extra special guest braved the night of the Florida storms to tell us all about Iain's awesome looking ESB Yoda store display and finally Chris Georgoulias is the inaugural member to join exciting new concept 'The Vintage Rebellion Alliance', providing the crew with some fantastic information about Speeder Bike Prototypes, to supplement a discussion on possibly Kenner's most perfect Vintage vehicle.

The team also welcome back the return of Pete, who is in fine form. Returning with Pete is of course the Market section where he introduces a new Gimcrack concept whilst we also see the return of his popular top five.

Welcome Home Pete... It's family!

LISTEN VIA ITUNES

OR DIRECTLY

Jez
Jez
Yavin Yari

Yavin Honor : 403
Focus : Vintage collecting with a Luke X Wing side focus

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:11 pm

Thanks for the update Jez. I'll be listening to it, first thing on monday morning. cheers
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:28 pm

Awesome Jez, thanks for the update mate, as always looking foreward to giving it a listen rockon
Nico
Nico
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 10144
Focus : Loose variants (Lando)

Back to top Go down

Post by the89thchris Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:56 pm

Halfway through, loved the Feud segment.

Looks like I'll be working on a shuttle at the same time as you! Picked one up today that needs some internal maintenance.

the89thchris
the89thchris
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 5170
Focus : Complete loose Kenner figures & a few MOC's.

https://www.instagram.com/thechrisporteous/

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:09 pm

Just finish listening to the show.  That was a great one.  Thanks guys. clapping

I'll get my review post up soon.

Edit. I didn't hear where we are to post our gimcrack items? On FB?
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Jez Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:37 pm

Yeah, thanks Clint. Just drop it on the Facebook page, that'll be great.

Now prepping show notes for October's show Very Happy
Jez
Jez
Yavin Yari

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:29 pm

Jez wrote:Yeah, thanks Clint. Just drop it on the Facebook page, that'll be great.

Now prepping show notes for October's show Very Happy

Now I have to get a FB account. lol!

Looking forward to the next show already. cheers
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by the89thchris Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:38 pm

It was great to have my 2 Jedi MOC's for $50 CAD mentioned. That was a pretty sweet flea market find considering that its 2017 lol.

Really enjoyed the piece about the Leia blasters. I`m missing one for my loose collection and I`ve been pretty reluctant to pull the trigger over eBay. I`ll probably wait till I can find one locally.
the89thchris
the89thchris
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:57 am

Episode 40 review

Question, is it too late to start collecting?
It’s never too late to start collecting.  But will require a lot more time, patience & money.  Also most of the prime pieces are already in collections.  You will have to buy those piece you’re looking for, from a collector selling up.  You can’t just go out and pick up childhood collections relatively cheap compared to today, like we all did 5 - 10 years ago.  Also with the new waves of reproduction weapons is going to make it tougher as well.

I really enjoyed the Family Feud Game.  It had me laughing out loud.  It’s lucky I work from home, or people would be looking at me funny. lol!

“New Repro’s”
The interview with James K. (AJ or AussieJames) was great.  The discussion about the new repro’s that have come out was interesting.  It’s definitely going to be more difficult to spotting these repro’s.  I’m a firm believer in marking all the repro’s with a small hole drilled in them.

“Collecting Fatigue”
You can count me as one with collecting fatigue as well.  I’ve come to the realization that I’m not going to get some of the pieces that I would like for my collection.  I’m a cheap bastard, so that doesn’t help.  I’m not willing to pay the steep prices these days.  I think that’s part of the problem.  Also, stuff is not readily available, as it was, even 5 years ago.

I really found the interview with Shawn Moynihan, simply fantastic.  I hope one day, we get to see the holiday special music lyrics, and set them to Sgt. Pepper music.

You can also count me among the majority, that can’t sit and watch the entire Star Wars Holiday Special.

“Newest Acquisitions”
I may have pinched a couple pictures from TVR Facebook page. What a Face

The Meccano Import Diecast Landspeeder by Justin Lea was good one.  Glad to hear that after discussing it with a French collector, they determined it was legitimate.

[400][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/400]

Oscar’s (M4K3R1) great trio of Brazilian Model Trem bootlegs.  That quite a trio.  Well done.

I loved the Yoda Display by Ian Sanderson.  What a way to discuss the piece.  During a hurricane.   lol!

2 moc’s for $50 Canadian by the89thchris was a fantastic buy.  A Canadian Klaatu Skiff & a US Chief Chirpa.

German Mustard Glasses by jawa.57

The discussion with Chris Georgoulias, about the Speeder Bike was great.  Especially the pre-production hand built Speeder Bike.
I had a Speeder Bike as a kid as well.  I still have it and the original instruction sheet in my collection.

Pete’s new monthly Best Gimcrack contest is a fantastic idea.  Hopefully we will see something most of us have never seen before.

Oh, by the way Pete.  I love elderberry’s.  Especially elderberry pie.
This months entries.
-8mm film reels
-Dog Chow sticker from Australia
-ESB Hat from Canada
-Neesa Bag

I have to disagree with Richard.  I think the Magic 8 Ball (Fortune Telling) Yoda is a fantastic item.  The one that I have,  sat on my desk for years.  It was my daughters favourite as well, when she was younger.  She would come down to my office and need to give Yoda a good shake, and ask a question.

The tribute to Mete Akin was touching.  I never had the chance to meet or talk to him.  It's sad to think that someone so young is gone.  My thoughts are with his family. Sad

Thanks again guys for another great show. rockon
I’m already looking forward to the next one.
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by the89thchris Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:29 am

Great review, it’s awesome to see those two rough mocs I bought up there with stuff that looks like it was smuggled out of the Vatican  rofl but the price was just so notable lol

Magic 8-Ball Yoda for life. beer shooting
the89thchris
the89thchris
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by Jez Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:52 pm

Thank you guys for the kind words and the awesome review Clint, we really do appreciate your feedback.

Well the good news is we have managed to get Episode 41 edited and online before 4 of us head of to Belgium tomorrow to go to FACTS.

Here's what's in store!!

On the 41st edition of the Vintage Rebellion podcast Stuart and Richard chat to Jason West about all things Jawa, and find out some fascinating information neither have ever heard before.

In the New Acquisitions section the lads cover some wonderful purchases which have been shown off on the forums and Facebook. The team is joined by Tantive's very own Commander Clint who speaks about his recent trading card finds (awesome thanks Clint), Josh Lipscomb who has a wonderful story to tell about an entire 12bk find, 13 of them in fact. Plus once again, as part of the Vintage Rebellion Podcast Alliance Chris Georgoulias gives a wonderful narrative on 2 x Sy Snootles and the Rebo Band concept items that we guarantee you've never seen or heard about before. Something truly special. Seriously, we are so lucky to have this fresh info Smile

Rich takes time out to chat to James Gallo about one of the greatest Star Wars auctions of all time before the lads get together to have an old fashioned chinwag on the state of some loose figures.

Si takes his first spin at hosting the Quiz. The team hope it will be his last as it successfully exposes them as a bunch of laser brains.

And the return of the market continues with a look at the recent Propstore auction whilst also returning is Tracker Top 5 and the new monthly Gimcracker award.

All this plus much much more on The Vintage Rebellion Podcast.

Enjoy the Show!!!!!

Jez
Jez
Yavin Yari

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:00 pm

Thanks for the update Jez. cheers

I'm downloading it now, and will be listening to it tomorrow, at work.

I hope you and the boys enjoy the trip to Belgium.
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:56 pm

Thanks for having me on the podcast. The outtakes at the end were awesome. lol! rofl
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:53 pm

Episode 41 review

I have to agree with Richard, about not seeing the trailers & spoilers, for The Last Jedi.  I did the same thing with Rogue One and The Force Awakens, and only seeing the original trailer, then nothing else.

Stuart said he’s thinking about putting together a loose run, minus the last 17.  The question is put to the crew.  What would it cost to put together a loose run, minus the last 17?
I have a return question.  What would it have cost, to put together a loose run, minus the last 17, 10 years ago or even 5 years ago?

Simon’s Bantha Tracks quiz, was totally mind boggeling. I would have failed misserably.

The interview with James Gallo, was fantastic to listen too.  They discuss the upcoming auction with some of the most sot after Vintage Star Wars carded figures.

I did see pictures of the leopard spotted Snow Trooper that was being discussed.  What I didn’t know it was being auctioned off.  It’s seems to be a bad case of biotransformation.

The interview with Jason West & all his stories about his Jawa collection was great.  I hope he gets a vintage sand crawler for his collection some day.  I remember interacting with Jason over at TIG, years ago.  I finally got the pleasure of meeting Jason in person at C8 in Orlando, this past April.

Latest pickups.

I don’t remember who had bought the Star Wars Movie Theatre Souvenir Program, but the discussion was great.  There are actually 5 known variations.
We have 4 shown in our Magazine section of the “There’s Something Odd About Oola” (thanks to James (ourchickenshack)).  We are missing the UK version.  It was also recently discussed on Steve Danley’s “Star Wars At The Movies”

Fabrice (jawa.57) picked up a unused French movie projector, that was featured.
[400]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/400]

Bill (hellhippie) has a lovely painted helmet Fett.

Marky (Dr_Ball_MD) & Chris (the89thchris) both pick up Imperial Shuttles.  The boys believe all the shuttle purchases are spurred on by the last podcast.

Some idiot picked up a 1000 trading card.  Who the hell collects collects trading cards.   lol!

Dirk (Akial) picked up a light brown gloved Tusken Raider, that sparks some debate wether it’s a variant or not.  It’s such a stark contrast from the dark brown gloved figures, that it should be considered a variant.

The discussion then turns to the “Sy Snootles and the Rebo Band” vs “The Max Rebo Band”.  So which is it?  Don’t forget about the Canadian packaging as well.

I would have loved the Cantina Band members as vintage toys.  They are on my hit list for customs to make.

Jez, Well done finding this month’s Gimcracker Award piece.  That hand made C-3PO hook rug is quite a thing to see.

Thanks again guys for another great show.  Especially the outtakes at the end.
I’m already looking forward to the next podcast and hearing about TVR team’s trip to “FACT’s” in Belgium (minus Rich).

Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Jez Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:38 pm

Clint many thanks for your wonderful review of our podcast. You excel at this, and we really appreciate it, plus the great links you add are really helpful. Thanks again.

What do you think of the new concept added to the New Acquisitions section on the last 2 episodes: 'The Vintage Rebellion Alliance'? We think having the likes of Chris Georgoulias on the show giving us some amazing info on stuff usually never heard of is a cool addition to the podcast. I loved that one of the microphones for the Rebo band was initially sculpted/conceptualised from a weapon!
Another collecting expert has just joined our Alliance ranks, i wonder if he'll be making an appearance in the November episode Smile
Jez
Jez
Yavin Yari

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:59 pm

Jez wrote:Clint many thanks for your wonderful review of our podcast. You excel at this, and we really appreciate it, plus the great links you add are really helpful. Thanks again.

What do you think of the new concept added to the New Acquisitions section on the last 2 episodes: 'The Vintage Rebellion Alliance'? We think having the likes of Chris Georgoulias on the show giving us some amazing info on stuff usually never heard of is a cool addition to the podcast. I loved that one of the microphones for the Rebo band was initially sculpted/conceptualised from a weapon!
Another collecting expert has just joined our Alliance ranks, i wonder if he'll be making an appearance in the November episode Smile

I really like the additional guests giving information on some of those hidden secrets.  It makes you hunt down more information on the items. clapping

It's a good thing I have a face for radio. lol!
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:20 am

Look what I just spotted.  This was mentioned by Rich, in the interview with Jason West.

"The Chief Jawa"  but mine is in French.

[500][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/500]
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by richard_h Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:55 pm

Nice! Never seen that before. Have sent that to Jason.
richard_h
richard_h
Yavin Yari

Yavin Honor : 783
Focus : Loose and R5D4 items

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:36 pm

richard_h wrote:Nice!  Never seen that before.  Have sent that to Jason.

Sweet. They are the General Mills cereal sticker premiums. This one is the Canadian version

Did you find any other references to "The Chief Jawa"?
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by richard_h Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:37 pm

It was in the Palitoy Toy Fair Catalogue

richard_h
richard_h
Yavin Yari

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:45 pm

richard_h wrote:It was in the Palitoy Toy Fair Catalogue

Nice. cheers It will likely show up more, now that we're looking for it. cheeky
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by cantina_patron Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:46 pm

Do you know when that catalogue was published Rich?

The Death Squad Commander (looks more like a TIE Pilot lol! ) and Tusken Raider appear to be kit bashed Fisher Price 'Adventure People'. Also, Luke, Ben & Darth are DT versions not realeased in the UK, yet the Jawa is the later cloth cape version.  It's a very interesting & cool piece of SW merchendising history.
cantina_patron
cantina_patron
Bespin Busho

Yavin Honor : 5600
Focus : Cardbacks, loose variants, Lili Ledy

Back to top Go down

Post by richard_h Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:11 pm

It's from this catalogue but there'll be others from '78 too

richard_h
richard_h
Yavin Yari

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 23 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17 ... 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top