The Vintage Rebellion Podcast 2016 and beyond

Page 10 of 23 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Vintage Rebellion Podcast 2016 and beyond - Page 10 Empty Re: The Vintage Rebellion Podcast 2016 and beyond

Post by cantina_patron Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:51 pm

I've just finished listening to episode 38 and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll have to make time to listen to #37 now.
cantina_patron
cantina_patron
Bespin Busho

Yavin Honor : 5600
Focus : Cardbacks, loose variants, Lili Ledy

Back to top Go down

The Vintage Rebellion Podcast 2016 and beyond - Page 10 Empty Re: The Vintage Rebellion Podcast 2016 and beyond

Post by scruffylookingnh Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:08 pm

Jez wrote:
Commander Clint wrote:
Jez wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys. It's really important to us to get people on to tell their stories so i'm glad that this is getting positive feedback. Blockbusters still makes me chuckle. That took hours and hours to edit. I can't believe how little they know about Star Wars. I mean come on! What's the first word spoken in A New Hope?? Um Doom, Um Don't, Um oh this is a hard one... banghead2
Cheers fellas.

The quiz's make me laugh, especially when the cheating starts. lol!

False accusations of cheating. There was no cheating. I was in charge lol!

There was cheating. Lots of it. Why did you think it took Jez so long to edit it nanny
scruffylookingnh
scruffylookingnh
Corellia Chugen

Yavin Honor : 60
Focus : Palitoy and Trilogo

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:11 pm

scruffylookingnh wrote:There was cheating. Lots of it. Why did you think it took Jez so long to edit it nanny

I knew it. lol!
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Yavin Honor : 26790
Focus : Canadian Items & cardbacks, loose variants

Back to top Go down

Post by Stuart Skinner Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:23 am

Commander Clint wrote:Just finished listening to episode 38.  That was a fantastic episode.  I need to get my act together and get the reviews finished.

btw.  I know that we "all" try and forget him, but you guys have had another aussie on the show before. lol! rofl

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

But he doesn't count as he doesn't live there. And I honestly remembered Hooch had been on too, I meant first Aussie to be in Australia whilst recording for the main interview section. Honestly Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Apologies Christian, overlooked that Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Stuart Skinner
Stuart Skinner
Alderaan Ashigaru

Yavin Honor : 267

Back to top Go down

Post by Stuart Skinner Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:23 am

Guys thank you so much for the feedback, we really do appreciate it and love reading it.
Stuart Skinner
Stuart Skinner
Alderaan Ashigaru

Yavin Honor : 267

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristianC Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:03 pm

Stuart Skinner wrote:
Commander Clint wrote:Just finished listening to episode 38.  That was a fantastic episode.  I need to get my act together and get the reviews finished.

btw.  I know that we "all" try and forget him, but you guys have had another aussie on the show before. lol! rofl

But he doesn't count as he doesn't live there.  And I honestly remembered Hooch had been on too, I meant first Aussie to be in Australia whilst recording for the main interview section.  Honestly Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Apologies Christian, overlooked that Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Haha no worries mate!

ChristianC
ChristianC
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 6848
Focus : Luke Skywalker (all outfits) - MOC, loose variants and bootlegs

http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:41 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
James, I recommend listening to the latest episode. Download it, and open it with iTunes.
You'll enjoy Grant's oddball, beyond the toys, gimcrack interview. afro
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by mini99 Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:37 pm

I know that this is not about the "new and latest episode", I came to the Vintage Rebellion late (ep 29) and have been listening to them in reverse order, when I don't have a new one to listen to, if that makes sense?
I have just listened to Pete's first toy shop interview and wanted to say this was outstanding, a real insight to toy retailing and some great memories from the son.
Throughly enjoyed this episode, thanks guys.
mini99
mini99
Alderaan Ashigaru

Yavin Honor : 115

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristianC Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:15 am

mini99 wrote:I know that this is not about the "new and latest episode", I came to the Vintage Rebellion late (ep 29) and have been listening to them in reverse order, when I don't have a new one to listen to, if that makes sense?
I have just listened to Pete's first toy shop interview and wanted to say this was outstanding, a real insight to toy retailing and some great memories from the son.

Mate that episode was a cracker. Such a shame Pete has left the podcast.
ChristianC
ChristianC
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 6848
Focus : Luke Skywalker (all outfits) - MOC, loose variants and bootlegs

http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mini99 Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:48 pm

ChristianC wrote:
mini99 wrote:I know that this is not about the "new and latest episode", I came to the Vintage Rebellion late (ep 29) and have been listening to them in reverse order, when I don't have a new one to listen to, if that makes sense?

Mate that episode was a cracker. Such a shame Pete has left the podcast.

Totally agree, he will be missed.
Did I not read somewh that they have recruited a new member?
mini99
mini99
Alderaan Ashigaru

Yavin Honor : 115

Back to top Go down

Post by richard_h Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:58 pm

All will be revealed in the next episode which is hopefully today! Some surprises and twists.
richard_h
richard_h
Yavin Yari

Yavin Honor : 783
Focus : Loose and R5D4 items

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:19 pm

richard_h wrote:All will be revealed in the next episode which is hopefully today!  Some surprises and twists.

Thanks Richard.  I'm looking forward to the next episode.

edit. I really enjoyed the last episode. Especially Grant's interview about the food premiums.

I've listened to the last episode 2 time now.  Just need to finish typing up my notes.
I just finished with coaching my daughters house league U14Girls soccer team for the summer, so that should give me a bit more time.
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by richard_h Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:34 pm

The Vintage Rebellion returns with a plethra of changes.  Simon McOwan joins the team for his first show as a full time host, alongside Andy goulding who joins the team as guest host for this month.

Derek Ho joins Stuart for this months main interview as we delve into his collection and growing up with Star Wars in Singapore.

The lads get together for possibly the most varied New Acquisitions yet, where the conversation ranges from the Popy range to Airfix kits.  Simon pulls a Hutchinson with a Palitoy catalogue, Richard speaks of a beater Kea Moll and gets introduced to Uncle Gundy beaties.  The main element is an in depth discussion on Luke Skywalker original... or is it Farmboy???

Rebel Briefings sees the guys bravely tell Ron Salvatore (from a good distance away) that he's got something wrong on a SWCA blog post.  This is followed up with a cracking interview on a diorama display and a closing of the baggiegate story... for now.

Grant says goodbye to the podcast with his final Beyond The Toys section, as he speaks with Jonathan McElwain for the concluding part of looking at food tie ins.

We also have a Farthest From special where we hear from Edd Grant, Dan Burgess, Scott Cato, Stephen Savory, Darren Quinn and Jason Smith who all attended the show.

And watch out at the end as Episode 40 will see the team return to a permanent five piece and we announce the final member to make up the crew.

We hope you enjoy the show.

Last edited by richard_h on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
richard_h
richard_h
Yavin Yari

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:40 pm

Sounds like a jamb pack show.cheers

Grant's leaving the show. Sad
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:49 pm

Just finished the board game section.

A small correction.  Parker produced the Canadian "Escape from Death Star" game.  They also made the USA version in the same factory in north Toronto, but put a Kenner logo on it.

[600][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/600]
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by richard_h Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:17 pm

Cool good spot Clint!
richard_h
richard_h
Yavin Yari

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:01 pm

richard_h wrote:Cool good spot Clint!

Thanks Richard. The Canadian board game is something that I still have to photograph for our games gimcrack section. What a Face
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by the89thchris Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:36 am

That was a fine listen as always. I think the scariest revelation for me is: how much time I spent driving yesterday & today... rofl

Derek has been a great interview on other podcasts so that was no surprise, but with all that "Uncle Gundy" talk, I'm surprised his forum alias (or former forum alias) didn't make it into the conversation lol

Delighted to have my beater Kea mentioned, I think Richard's assertion (that droids figures in rough shape are quite rare) is accurate. It was the first droids figure I've ever seen that wasn't for sale at a premium. I think I paid about $20-30 CAD, not exactly cheap but I'd never even seen one for sale in person before. Maybe if I hadn't been at a Transformers toy show it would have been more expensive. (Obviously I didn't go for the transformers.... not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Excited for the September "Jackson Four"+1 reunion show bananarock
the89thchris
the89thchris
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 5170
Focus : Complete loose Kenner figures & a few MOC's.

https://www.instagram.com/thechrisporteous/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jez Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:14 pm

Thanks Clint, thats a great bit of knowledge which we've shared on our Facebook page.
Awesome photo Chris. Thanks for the comment.
Yeah another show we're extremely proud of. I think Stu did an awesome job with the Derek interview.

We welcome suggestions for future content etc, so please feel free to bombard us with ideas or initiatives.

Cheers lads
Jez
Jez
Yavin Yari

Yavin Honor : 403
Focus : Vintage collecting with a Luke X Wing side focus

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:40 pm

The whole show was fantastic.  I'm a bit sad to hear that Grant is leaving, because I always enjoyed the gimcrack interviews.  But it's nice to hear that Pete is coming back.

Jez, When you guys started saying that Parker didn't make the board games, I was yelling at my computer screen that Parker made the Canadian one. lol!
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Jez Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:26 pm

Thanks Clint. Yeah, we'll all miss the Welshman, however i bet he'll be back on again by the end of the year. Grant won't ever stray too far.
Yeah delighted that we are getting our 5th member (no spoilers).
With regards to the games, thats been our biggest area of feedback so far and one which we'll be addressing in the September episode so thanks again Smile
Jez
Jez
Yavin Yari

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:08 pm

Episode 38 review

It was great to have Simon McOwan join the boys as a guest host.

I was surprised to hear that Phil Lord & Chris Miller were let go as directors of the Han Solo movie.  I know Ron Howard is a great director, but I’m not sure how I feel about him directing this movie.  I’m sure it will be good, but I want another great movie to go along with Rogue One.

I really enjoyed the “Blockbusters Quiz” and the charismatic host Jez.  Congrats to Richard on the big win.

The interview with Ross Barr was very interesting.  Ross is the face of the new CAS grading system.  It was nice to hear how they have a 3 pronged system for grading every toy that goes through their system.  I’m still not a fan of encasing everything in acrylic, but it was nice to hear that CAS is listening to the clients and how they want stuff displayed.

It was super fantastic to hear that Bill’s (aka hellhippie) Lili Ledy Burgandy Bib Fortuna has an authentic burgundy coat.  It was a fantastic gift from a friend of Bill, and it’s a fantastic ending to the story.

[400][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/400]

Photobucket has created a real shit storm on a lot of forums, ebay, etc…  They gave everyone approx 1 month before they shut off 3rd party sharing.  They are basically holding everyone hostage for $399 / year.  Even this forum was not immune.  We have been busy re-uploading our pictures using the built in forum image hosting software.

What Todd Fisher tried to do by sneaking recently bought collectables into stuff from the estate of his late sister, Carrie Fisher was a complete douse bag move.  All for money. Shame

The interview with Lee Harris was fantastic.  The stories about collecting Toltoys Star Wars toys in Australia as a child, and as an adult now was very interesting.  The story about his childhood toys being burnt in a campfire must have been horrific.  Christian & I had the pleasure of meeting Lee in Orlando at Celebration 8.  It was funny how well the 2 Aussies got along, right off the bat.  Lee was the master mind & the one to find the 12” Stormtrooper, that was presented to Jez, on the last day, after completing all of his Running Stormtrooper duties.  Lee seems like one of those special collectors that is willing to help all of his fellow collectors.

I really enjoyed the music by Royish Good Looks.  They do a fantastic job of turning ordinary songs into ones with Star Wars themes.

I remember the discussion about the “red bar” R5-D4, several years ago.  In my opinion, it is a nice variant.  It was a conscious decision to change the design of the sticker, so that makes it a variant.

Regal Toys Ltd. out of Toronto, Canada, and the plush toys that they produced, is still a bit of a mystery.  Not that much is known about them, even today.  The story about the large size Plush Chewbacca with the fur placed over top of a doll was fantastic.  I wish that I had more time to look into the history of the Regal Toy company.

Scott Bradley has a nice section on Regal Toy Ltd.

Here is a picture from my childhood scrapbook.

The story about how the Blue Snag is one that most of us already know, and kind of shows how little information that Lucas Film gave to the creators at Kenner.  Here is a picture from one of my favourite pieces of Canadian gimcrack, showing that early disco boot blue bugger.

[400][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[/400]
I really enjoyed the discussion about the Imperial Shuttle.  I don’t think we ever got the Imperial Shuttle here in Canada & I’ve never seen one in a bilingual text box with the 43 Hanna Ave. address.  I do however have one, but it was purchased as an adult collector.  One of these days, I need to take my shuttle apart and fix the wing locking mechanism cog.  I have a question.  Would it be alright to fix it with a metal piece that is similar?  Or would it make me a repo maker, if I make my own cogs by casting them, but give them away to my fellow collectors, and not charge any money?

I really, really enjoyed Grant’s interview with Jonathan McElwain about the food premiums & food packaging.  This was one of his best interview yet about some of my favourite items.

- Wonder Bread packaging, trading cards

- Stickers

- Nestle Candy Bar Wrappers, pendent & necklaces

- Burger Chef, mini catalogs

- Burger King, glasses

One last thing.  I want everyone to send Jez a PM.  To show him that he is not unloved.
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:54 pm

Commander Clint wrote:One last thing.  I want everyone to send Jez a PM.  To show him that he is not unloved.

Jez is an absolute Legend rockon
Nico
Nico
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 10144
Focus : Loose variants (Lando)

Back to top Go down

Post by the89thchris Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:32 pm

I think I'm at my quota for that rofl

Thanks for the episode breakdown, Clint. Although I tend to listen to the episodes right away, I often don't follow up on the supplementary material until you put it right in front of us here. cheers
the89thchris
the89thchris
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 5170
Focus : Complete loose Kenner figures & a few MOC's.

https://www.instagram.com/thechrisporteous/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jez Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:03 pm

Another excellent round up Clint. Thanks a lot for the excellent images to go along with it. The Blue Snag picture is brilliant.

Nico wrote:
Commander Clint wrote:One last thing.  I want everyone to send Jez a PM.  To show him that he is not unloved.

Jez is an absolute Legend rockon

Stop it lol! clapping

Working on the next episode now. Will be recording next week for release at the usual time Smile

Cheers peeps.
Jez
Jez
Yavin Yari

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 23 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top