The Vintage Rebellion Podcast 2016 and beyond

Page 5 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14 ... 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Vintage Rebellion Podcast 2016 and beyond - Page 5 Empty Re: The Vintage Rebellion Podcast 2016 and beyond

Post by cantina_patron Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:58 am

Thank you for the review of episode 29 Clint, it sounds very interesting and I'll definitely check it out. (I've got a lot of catching up to do with these excellent podcasts!)
cantina_patron
cantina_patron
Bespin Busho

Yavin Honor : 5600
Focus : Cardbacks, loose variants, Lili Ledy

Back to top Go down

The Vintage Rebellion Podcast 2016 and beyond - Page 5 Empty Re: The Vintage Rebellion Podcast 2016 and beyond

Post by richard_h Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:25 am

Thanks guys - we had an update to the Luke Bespin in the feedback section of Ep 30. The interview with Marco and Ozio was fantastic. We loved recording it. We have a special TXI treat next month too!
richard_h
richard_h
Yavin Yari

Yavin Honor : 783
Focus : Loose and R5D4 items

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Dengar Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:49 am

Thanks for having me and my dear friend Ozio in the show to let us talk about our big collectors passion: Lili Ledy.
It was great fun and a big honour.

A big thanks to the team behind the Vintage Rebellion podcast. You guys, you rock!  cheers

PS: No Black Wampas were hurt during the recording of the show
And no you don't hear Ozio sing at the end! Very Happy

'Quien esta pensando en ti? Lili Ledy!'

(Who is thinking about you! Lili Ledy)

Dr Dengar
Dr Dengar
Bespin Busho

Yavin Honor : 4514
Focus : Lili Ledy, PBP, MIB.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristianC Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:26 am

Great that you guys had a chance to appear on the podcast. I'm still two episodes behind but really looking forward to this one so might have to cheat and jump ahead Smile
ChristianC
ChristianC
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 6843
Focus : Luke Skywalker (all outfits) - MOC, loose variants and bootlegs

http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:00 pm

"Gimcrack" This will be the new term for 2017. lol! cheeky
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Yavin Honor : 26785
Focus : Canadian Items & cardbacks, loose variants

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:32 am

Episode 30 review

Guys, that was a heck of an episode.  Well done.

Pete's take over of the word "gimcrack" for "beyond the toys" or "oddball items" was hilarious.  It will be the "IT word for the new year.   I never had a problem with the term "oddball", and never really thought about it before.

- good luck finding some more of the sun catchers.  I remember having & making a couple of them as a kid.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Rich, congrats on writting some vintage articles for the Jedi News.
I'll have to check them out more often.

It's always great when you have Jason Smith on the show to explain the Palitoy cardbacks.

Congrats to Hennrik on the Norway find with the Norway & Sweden price stickers.  It's always great to find evidence like this, to help track the history of sales.

The boys from Echo Base & Adam Pemberton, Keep up the great charity work.

It was great listening to the interview with Jon Spira and the Elstree 1976 documentary.  I did enjoy this take on the actors behind the masks.  It was not the same old take on SW.

The interview with Horacio (Ozio) and Marco (Dr Dengar), about the Lili Ledy toy line from Mexico was awesome.  We are building a nice library of the LL figures right here on TXI.  Hopefully we can have some more discussion started as well.  Go Black Wampa.

The new book from Brandon Alinger and David Mandel about Ralph McQuarrie art, looks great.  I will have to track one down.  Hopefully after christmas, the retailers will replenish the stock.

Thanks for the update & additional information about the Luke Bespin figures from the Raiders of the Lost Ark.  It was not confirmed that it was screened used, but did come from a ILM consignment.

It was great to hear from Chris Botkins about his Rebel Commando focus.

I'm fairly sure that I received a mail-in mailer box for the Hoth back packs & gas masks, here in Canada, when I was a kid.

We never got the Star Wars "RC Sandcrawler" in Canada either.  It was however released under the Empire Strikes Back line of toys in Canada.

I do have a thought on why we don't see any ESB figures on ROTJ cards in Canada.  It's widely know that there was an over stock of ESB figure, and they were stickered with the ROTJ logos & the Admiral Ackbar mail-in offer.  They are known as "Transition or Tranny" cards.  Kenner Canada probably thought that was enough & they didn't need any more.  They did however release some of the original 20 figures on ROTJ cards, like DV, Chewy & Luke XWP.

Thanks again guys on an other great podcast.

btw, why was there not banter at the end of the show?  That's some of the funniest stuff.
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristianC Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:32 am

Great review Clint. Got this episode ready to go for my long haul flight next week.
ChristianC
ChristianC
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 6843
Focus : Luke Skywalker (all outfits) - MOC, loose variants and bootlegs

http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com

Back to top Go down

Post by the89thchris Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:18 am

Man I saw 2 copies of the McQuarrie set at "Chapters" by my place and it was a little out of my price range at $300 cad. Atleast at Christmas time it's hard to buy myself a gift like that, although it pretty much goes right back to the core of everything we appreciate about this franchise. And I'm sure there are vast amounts of it that I'm not familiar with.

I've got that 1996 book "The illustrated Star Wars Univrrse" which features a lot of McQuarrie art but what I didn't know until this podcast was that a good chunk of that book was painted specifically for that project, I had no idea. I guess the Gorax is a bit suspect lol
the89thchris
the89thchris
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 5170
Focus : Complete loose Kenner figures & a few MOC's.

https://www.instagram.com/thechrisporteous/

Back to top Go down

Post by richard_h Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:33 pm

Episode 31 - 21st Century Fox is out now. Enjoy!

The Vintage Rebellion return to the usual format after their extended edition last month, in fact this episode doesn't even last 5 hours!

Matt Fox joins Stuart and Grant for this months focus interview as he discusses his 'May the Toys Be With You' exhibition and we take an in depth look at poster collecting and the UK poster release.

Yehuda Kleinman joins Rich during Rebel Briefings to discuss Yupi, whilst Stuart and Pete welcome Laurence Dyer and Simon McOwan back to chat about the Palitoy Factory Tour that Laurence arranged earlier this month.

Clint Garness joins Grant for this months 'Beyond the Toys' section as they look at collecting in Canada.

Jez looks at some stunning acquisitions during this months 'Newest Acquisitions' including a Lili Ledy Imperial Commander, Ross Barr's 32 back Han Solo and Micro collection amongst many other beautiful pieces.

Pete's Market takes a look at the recent Vectis auction whilst he also welcomes Andrew Norton to discuss the Micro Collection after touching on it during the newest acquisitions.

Of course we have the usual banter, drivel and fun in the 31st edition of The Vintage Rebellion.

richard_h
richard_h
Yavin Yari

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:40 pm

Thanks Richard. Gives me something to listen too, this afternoon. cheers
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by the89thchris Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:33 pm

Awesome episode. I feel like I did hear about that rumoured Stormtrooper "12/31 back" actually turning up on another podcast.

Nice job repping the great white, slightly north of the u.s boarder Clint! Smile
the89thchris
the89thchris
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:59 pm

Thanks Chris. cheers I haven't finished the episode yet. Hopefully, I can finish it this morning.
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by ourchickenshack Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:13 pm

Great episode guys cheers

A special Thank you to Clint for telling us all aboot Canadian Star Wars yay
ourchickenshack
ourchickenshack
Dagobah Daimyo

Yavin Honor : 27918
Focus : Farceur Mollification

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:31 pm

"aboot" lol! lol! Funny bugger. cheeky
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by richard_h Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:10 pm

I love the focus interviews like the Canadian one just as much as the academic ones. Variety is a good thing. Many thanks for coming on Clint.
richard_h
richard_h
Yavin Yari

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:14 pm

Thanks Richard.  It was fun.  I was pretty nervous, so I had to have a drink or two while chatting with Grant.  I don't get to drink before 11 am very often any more. lol!

I was more nervous, than when we first chatted last year.  I think because last year, it was with Marco & Chris as well. This time I was by myself. What a Face

Last edited by Commander Clint on Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:08 pm

Great episode guys cheers Really enjoyed your interview Clint some very interesting points on Canadian Star Wars clapping
Nico
Nico
Tatooine Taisho

Yavin Honor : 10144
Focus : Loose variants (Lando)

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:45 pm

Nico wrote:Great episode guys cheers Really enjoyed your interview Clint some very interesting points on Canadian Star Wars clapping

Thanks Andy. cheers Sorry for the late reply. My father-in law came over for supper.
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by the89thchris Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:39 am

Also I didn't know there were that many toy shows around here lol I gotta start going to more.
the89thchris
the89thchris
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:53 pm

the89thchris wrote:Also I didn't know there were that many toy shows around here lol I gotta start going to more.

This is a great site for most of the listings.

Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:48 pm

Episode 31 review

The Tri-logo top ten game was fantastic.  I can just imagine you guys debating the cards for hours. lol!

It was great to hear Yehuda Kleinman explain the “Yupi” Columbian figures.  What I was surprised to see, was just how small they are, in comparison to the 3 3/4” figures.  Might be time to take a vacation to Columbia.
I borrowed this from the SWCA, I hope they don't mind.
[400][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/400]

The update on the repo Poppy leaflets was interesting.  As well as the repo Coin Offer stickers.  Just some more items to watch out for, being past off as originals.

The Palitoy factory tour must have been fun with Laurence Dyer & Simon McOwan.  Too see all the buildings in their heyday, must have been something to behold.

The interview with Matt Fox was fantastic.  I would love to see his toy exhibition in person.  Sounds like an awesome show.  The part of the interview about the posters was my favourite.  It’s a part of vintage SW collecting, that I’ve never gotten in too.  I’ve been tempted a couple of times.

Tom Chantrell poster

Hildebrandt poster

Andrew Norton (aka spoons) has created a fantastic web site for vintage die cast toys.  If you haven’t seen it, you need to check it out.

I also enjoyed listening about the Micro Collections & Andrews find of a gold Stormtrooper & ESB Chewbacca from the “Bespin Torture Chamber” set.

Then you had some guy on the show, and went on about some Canadian stuff.

Irwin Toys: The Canadian Star Wars Connection.  Sorry for the crappy pictures.  I will have to take some better ones in the daylight and post them up.

[300][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/300]

20(18) back Walking R2 card back

O-Pee-Chee Error Card
Card # 183 is titled "Ken" Kenobi :

SW Colouring books

Cereal Foldouts & York Peanut Butter Lid Inserts

Scott Bradley's site

other

Thanks again guys for another great show.  Keep up the great work.

Last edited by Commander Clint on Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:20 am

Holiday Special review

It was good to hear Richard in such a good mood to begin the episode.  That was something new. What a Face

Rogue One.  I personally loved it.  This is the Star Wars  movie we’ve all been waiting for since 1984.  Hopefully the trend will continue.

I really enjoyed the interview with Chris Botkins & his Rebel Commando focus collection.  That’s quiet a tattoo with Rebel Commando & Jar Jar side by side.
btw, the use of “Tusken Raider” was used on the Canadian SW 12 card backs 1978.

Mark Hockley’s interview about Cast & Crew items was very interesting.  With the swag given to cast & crew on the next film.

Chris Caswell discussion about the 3 packs was great.  I hope one day to see one of the Canadian sets in person.

Good luck to Iain Sanderson in tracking down a Tri-logo Paploo.

Pete, I guess a lot of the sun catches where a North America “gimcrack”.  I remember having and making some of them as a kid.

I thing my favourite thing about the episode, is it sounded like everyone was enjoying a little bit of christmas cheer (except Richard, who doesn’t drink very often).

Thanks again guys and keep up the great work. cheers
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Clint Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:47 am

MicroCast : A Baggie Report Part One

I'm not going to review this one. I do want to thank you for trying to get some in-site on the the accused & the early allegations. rockon
Commander Clint
Commander Clint
Jedi Shogun Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by the89thchris Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:27 pm

Yeah goddamn that was intense. I tend to believe him.

That said I wouldn't be surprised if he attempted to re-sell something he believed was genuine even though someone else found it dubious. I guess it depends where you fall on that.
the89thchris
the89thchris
Tatooine Taisho

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian_C Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:23 pm

the89thchris wrote:Yeah goddamn that was intense. I tend to believe him.

Believe who?

If you've been following the discussion on swfuk, more and more evidence is building, and most of the earlier skeptics are now conceding it looks like he was absolutely scamming people by knowingly selling fake or altered baggies. Sad

Ian
Ian_C
Ian_C
Sullust Samurai

Yavin Honor : 2361
Focus : Kenner Production

https://www.tantivexi.com

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14 ... 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top